Friday, November 29, 2019

Grub Crawl - New Smyrna Beach: Donnie's Donuts, Ruthy's Kozy Kitchen and Cork Screw

I tried these places last Saturday. The first two are on West Canal ST (44 Business) and the last is in town on Canal St. You get to 44 Business by making a left after the Burger King. Before the bridge.

Donnie's Donuts - This place was a fried chicken place only a year ago. Now they (different people) sell home made donuts and beverages. They have a Food Network sign up front. They said the owner was a judge on a food truck show. I bought an apple cider cinnamon and a chocolate cinnamon. They cost just under $2 each. They were fine. Apple better than chocolate. I don't love these old fashioned, cake-y donuts. I like the airier kind better. They have this level of donut and a kicked up level (ie toppings). They are open Wednesday through Sunday.

Ruthy's Kozy Kitchen - They are a bit closer to town (the train tracks). They have been there for thirteen years. I only noticed them two years ago when they updated their signage. I had the Greek eggs benedict for $9. It was fine. Feta crumbles over too much Hollandaise and eggs on Canadian Bacon and tomato and spinach. No muffin. Home fries. Everything here is under two digits. I believe they close at 2pm. They had a really cheap early morning breakfast at under $2. It was full. They had breakfast and lunch items and special. It seats about eighty. The color scheme was teal, white and gray. Red table tops. Service was good. They take cards. A fine diner type spot.

Cork Screw Bar and Grille- This is about half way in town. It was a post office. It's been this for five years. American cuisine. Lots of red brick. A brick half wall separates the main room into a bar area and a main area. Lots of patio tables. Seats around fifty inside and forty outside. Lots of bric a brac inside. Long bar. sports on the tv. It was full at 2pm. Open for dinner too. I had a gator and sausage po boy for $14. It was very good. Too good. I think they subbed in pork shoulder for gator. If not, it was really seasoned well and tender. The sausage was good as well. Lots of both meats. The bun was glossy and appropriate for a po boy. Fresh too. The lettuce and tomato were also fresh. I usually find po boys more fun to order than to eat. They usually are just bad heros. This was what a po boy is meant to be. The menu was pretty large. Some surprises. I wish I could remember some of them. They had they usual subjects like burgers and fish too. This place seemed to be the most hoighty of the dining options. It was more accessible than I anticipated. Not bad at all. I'd go back. In fact, the only thing preventing it may be the multiplicity of options I've been discovering in town. I'll tell you about three more in two posts from now (I went to them today).

*I read an article on a Turkish chili pepper called Urfa.  It's smoke-y and raisin-y and all the rage.

No comments: