Sunday, December 1, 2019

Manny's Original Chophouse, Altamonte Springs - Closed

I tried this chophouse near the intersection of 434 and 436 at dinner (no lunch service) eight days ago. It has a chain feel, yet, I believe there was only on other down in the tourist district that has recently closed. I'm not sure how long this one has been here. I had a 9 ounce center cut for $16. It came with rolls, salad and a side (baked potato). It has been a while (and I haven't returned to any of those establishments) since I've eaten at a Longhorn's or Texas Roadhouse level restaurant, so, I'm not sure if this is any better or worse. I made the mistake of ordering the beef medium rare. It took thirty plus (I counted - many times) chews to make the bite swallowable. The top "skin" also seemed crumbly. This was the one section that was "cooked". It was disturbingly crumbly though. Maybe over marinated or just bad quality. The steak didn't appear odd. They claimed to age it. Maybe that is code for "field aged". I'm not sure how these inexpensive cuts are sourced. Milk cows? Old cows? Not cows? I would just recommend you order the meat well done. I didn't try the rolls. The salad came in a big bowl (two portions worth) and they tossed it at the table. The potato was good. I'm at a loss on how to rate this place. The steak wasn't good, but, it was cheap. and they cooked it as requested. The sides were fine. Some value here. Service was good. The place looks like a 50's themed place. Fake road signs, street signs, license plates, etc. Lights made out of mufflers. Everything a reproduction (like the steak). They offer a variety of foods (even fajitas and nachos). For people on a budget, this may be a fun night out. The crowd seemed to confirm that. I thought it would be a higher end place (like Vito's) since they only do dinner. I was wrong. It probably seats around ninety. High ceilings. Not claustrophobic. East parking.

No comments: