Friday, December 20, 2019

St John's River Steakhouse and Seafood, Sanford *Canary Islands Travel Notes

I had lunch at this four year old restaurant (that has seen many masters) on Lake Monroe (on that island in town) on Tuesday. I've been here many times before and I swear I've even eaten here before. But thanks to the terrible search capabilities of this Google owned blogging application, I can't find any evidence of a review. Thankfully, the experience wasn't bad (if it was a redo). I had a soft shell crab sandwich for $12. Fries were a buck more. This was around the median price range. It was way better than I anticipated. The crab was a bit fishy tasting. I was expecting frozen anyway. However, the excellent corn meal crust and proper cooking time made up for that. The glossy bun was also a bit more than ordinary. The veg weren't terribly unfresh. The spicy remoulade wasn't exactly original. but, it always adds something. The fries were real show stoppers. I think they call them (not on the menu description) "curls" or "scoops". They were like a section of a curly fry. But big like a wedge. Something this thick is usually miscooked. These were not. And even had some crunch to the exterior. I ordered this because I was getting a vibe (from the ram shackle interior and magic markered out items on the menu) that this wasn't a serious dining establishment. I think I was wrong. I think you can venture out into the more expensive parts of the menu. They have things like shrimp and grits, fish and chips, burgers, steak, seafood, etc. Platters and sandwiches. The interior is mostly wood. They have the screened in patio (like all the others had). Most tables have lake views (for one half of the table). They have a bar. I know they have live music sometimes at night. Service was very attentive and personable. Demands were anticipated. It's a taste of Florida type joint with better food. Tourists (especially) should like the experience. Soda was near the danger zone. $2.90.

*I noticed that a new food hall is going up on 1st St (I think that is the main one into town). It was called Henry's Depot, I believe. A bar in back had opened a week ago (night) and four of five stalls were being built. A Mexican, Some Guy's Sandwiches, Pizza Oven and some other things. And the F&D Italian sign was down and no F&D visible. I wonder if they chickened out. Hollerbach's extension is complete. An old age home is going up next to St John's River restaurant. I thought it was a hotel. They are building some more buildings around Fuel. I used the roll they gave me for a smoked chicken order the next day on my tuna fish sandwich. The smoke it absorbed worked well with the tuna fish. I also add hot sauce to my tuna. That may be a necessary element for the smoke to work. I'm not sure if I've seen smoked bread out there.

**Travel Notes - Canary Islands (and Spain since they own it): BK has a double cheeseburger with three slices of cheese and a cheese dipping sauce. Why don't all places have a cheese dipping sauce? I'll trade you Sweet and Sour. McD's had little fried chicken balls called McBites. Way cheaper than nuggets. 20 were 2E. And an Alfredo Truffle Sauced Burger. A place called Ballshakes had a mason jar milkshake that they crowned with a jelly or cream donut (straw through the hole). I had a pork cheek muffin. It was a crown/base of fried phyllo with pulled pork cheek and jam in side. Made me thing of many savory things we could start putting in a real muffin. I also saw a salmon and almond sandwich in the airport in Barcelona. It was in a wrapper, so, I'm not sure how they did it.

No comments: