Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Grub Crawl - International Drive: Hi-5 Poke, Spicy Girl and The Mexican Camel

I tried these places in a strip mall at Kirkman and International Drive two Thursdays ago. I ordered these items to go. The first two are in the same location. The third is next door.

Hi-5 Poke and Sushi - They had a larger menu, but, they told me they are just doing poke ($12) going forward. I had tuna nachos for $8. The tuna was surprisingly fresh. I forget how long they have been operating. I think under a year. The place is Hawaiian themed. Looks sloppy. Partly because they are running a Szechaun restaurant out of here as well. I hope I'm not outing them by telling you about it. You would think that violates their franchise agreement or lease.

Spicy Girl - This would be the draw (if there is one). They have all kinds of crazy dishes here. Lungs, lips, claws, feet, jaw, chin, gizzard, neck, ear, stomach, liver, intestines, wings, etc. I was taking a flight the next day, so I wussed out and ordered spicy beef noodles. They were good. The beef was very tender. And I'm not sure how to describe the noodles. They were very overcooked. I think that might have been partially my fault leaving them in the "sauce" all day. They were very spicy and a bit oily. I only ate around a quarter of them. Not sure if they or the next place's meal gave me the intestinal discomfort that I luckily got rid of in a unfortunate bath room stall before the longer leg of my plane journey. I may go back to try some of those oddities. They had some normal stuff as well. Their English wasn't great.

Mexican Camel - This was a disappointment. And it is a shame because the manager was very generous. He gave me free baklava and a drink (homemade lemonade with some flavoring I forget). The baklava tasted like olive oil. Hopefully, that is not why it was free. The place is just a "Subway" that does Med and Mex. Not an interesting fusion. You can "cross pollinate" your dish, but, that isn't very inventive. You chose the container (bowl, pita, tortilla) and the main (lamb, chicken, etc) and then add sauces and toppings. I had lamb in a pita. The lamb was just meatballs off a skewer. They were poorly made and crumbled. I screwed up the toppings with harissa (very hot) and tahini (bland) and pickled onions and turnips and tomato and pickles. It was too bitter and something gave me record setting gas. I mean it reminded me of the throw up scene with Lard Ass in Stand By Me or the one in Team America. Except this was air (oddly odorless) and it came out of the out door not the in door. And not just a single tuba solo.. The last time I had these symptoms was when I ate at that Med place on 436 (Gyro something). So, I think it's something wit that kind of food. Pickling? Root veg? This is a one off that looks like a chain. I think they are six months old. This is case where one plus one doesn't equal three. Or even two. If you want Mex go to a place that does that. if you want Med, same advice.

No comments: