Friday, January 29, 2021

Grub Crawl - Dr Phillips Area: Gogi and K Town

  I tried these two Korean places last Friday at lunch. They are side by side in the strip mall on Dr Phillips and Sand Lake. The first was world of Beer. The other was Whichwich. They are owned by the same people.

Gogi Korean Grill - It means meat. It is one of those "grill in the middle of the table" spots. They claimed you can do gas or charcoal. I did neither. I ordered a pre-made tofu stew called Sundubu ($15) because I don't think I've tried that before and I like to try new things. I added (for free) steak. They called it their bulgogi steak (since that has gogi in the word I bet I just made a funny in Korean). Usually the steak you get in bulgogi isn't this thin and tender. A nice surprise. The stew was tasty. A base that was probably peppers, tomato, onions, etc. They asked for a heat level. A raw egg was cracked on top. It came with rice that I didn't really eat because it didn't seem like it was necessary. Was I supposed to dump white rice in the stew? Just eat plain white rice with nothing on it? Drizzle the stew over the rice? It's funny. Some Asian and Latin meals just throw a bowl of rice in where it doesn't belong to fill you up. It came with four bon chon. I got five because they brought one wrong item. I chose: kimchi, broccoli, garlic something - sprouts I think, sprouts and fish cake. All were what you'd expect. At lunch, they serve "box' specials from $13 to $16.  6 apps. 3 salads. 1 soup. And a set lunch for two at $16 - $19. Probably per order. I think the dinner menu had a few more options. The space was big. It seats around one hundred in backless booths/squares. Windows look out on Sand Lake Rd. A bar. I kind of remember gray, black and maybe white tones. Some stone. Service (1) was good. Two other tables were seated after me. They said they have only been open for two months. Seems wrong. I never went in on recon missions. Maybe it's true. 

K Town Cafe - They call this a street food place. Probably smart to have a place like this next door. They can dump their aging supply and to go business off on this spot. A small menu of katsus, bowls, snacks. I had chicken katsu. It cost $10. Two "cutlets" of chicken. Rice (didn't eat this either). Kimchi. Broccoli. Last two were the same as Gogi. They made the chicken fresh in front of me. That can't always be expected in these times. Good crust. Chicken wasn't too dry. Light soy and garlic and sweet flavor. Probably a marinade. I ate one half when I got home (because the Sundubu wasn't that filling) and one half on the road the next day. It came with some black sauce that I didn't use or open. Probably a sweet soy. The place has the kitchen in the back of the small store. A few seats in front. Korean photos as decoration. They said they have been open for six months. Three others ordered while I was there.

*I'll do the SLC review in the next post. It will be short. Better to even these things out. Saw that Norman's plans to move in up the road.

No comments: