Sunday, January 31, 2021

Voodoo Doughnut, Universal Citywalk *UT Travel Notes

I finally tried this import from Antifaland (Portland) last Friday at night. I'm not paying to park. They stop charging at 6pm. I have been to the real store. I didn't sense a drop in quality. The store looks sharp too. It is by the NBC Grill. This was a Nascar restaurant the last time I was here (probably two or three years ago). Towards the globe and park entrance. It had a small (5 people) line. They were "distancing" I sailed through. I just had a Little Pink because this was just a courtesy call. It was good. Strawberry icing with sprinkles. It was a yeast raised doughnut. It cost less than $2. They also sell cake (dense) doughnuts, fritters, bars and novelty items. In Portland I had a voodoo doll and a bacon maple bar. They have one on a popsicle stick. Come see for yourself. 

*Observations on Citywalk. They take your temperature. They x ray your bag. Metal detector. The usual local riff raff seemed to be absent. I think the following changes have occurred since my last update. The NBA restaurant is now Toothsome Chocolate Emporium. It is the only one that seems to have efforted a theme. It also has a candy store on the side. Basic menu. Doesn't take advantage of the Willy Wonka/Harry Potter like theme. Emeril's is now something Fire or Fire something. Behind it is Antojitos (little cravings or snacks). It seems like that whole area in the back (mostly bars) is now gone. I didn't go right up to it, but, it seemed gone. On your way in on the left (by Bubba Gump) was Cowfish and Pizza something or something Pizza. 

**Travel Notes - Utah: Most ski resorts seemed open. Some are requiring online ticket purchases. You can trim cost by doing a half day (12pm-) or Canyon Sports or AJ Motion are supposed to sell discount tix for non-Park City resorts. Alta was supposed to drop from $125 to $105, Brighton from $99 to $89, Snowbird from $145 to $110 and Solitude from $125 to $103. I bypassed both areas to try the spots near Ogden (30 minutes north). I only did Snow Basin. It was a nice place. $99 for a half day. Prices varied based on the day. There were two smaller resorts. Powder Mountain and Nordic Valley. NV was really cheap. Accommodations in Ogden were mostly under $100 a night. Nice town. Home to Weber State.

In SLC I ate at Curry Up Now (Indian Fast Food). I had a lamb keema bowl. I had ahi poke at Fresh Fin Poke. I had a beef and pork combo bowl at Cup Bop (Korean franchise). I had an interesting porridge at an Australian chain called Campos Coffee. It had caramel and hazelnuts on polenta and oat porridge. I had what they claimed was the best taco in Utah at Maize. It was an al pastor taco. Jury's out. I had a wienerschnitzel sandwich at Siegfried's Deli. I had yellow curry chicken with pepitas and green apple at Ginger Street. I had a Johnny Utah burger and salted caramel porter at Proper Burger (also has a brewery). It was really good. Slaw, pickled zucchini, turkey pastrami and cheese. Pickled zucchini is less watery than cucumber. It should be a thing. They were on 3D. As will the rest of the SLC list. I had mediocre brisket and ribs (dry, little smoke) at Pat's Barbecue. I had fried eggs and Norwegian Waffles (sour cream and ligonberries) at Finn's. I had a better than I expected meatball sub at Moochie's. I ended with a maple pecan kolache and an egg and sausage "ball" at Hruska's Kolaches. I stayed two nights at the Peery. Not so great. Two nights at the Plaza. Very cheap ($60). Was more during the summer. In Ogden I ate at Ogden River Brewery. Some good green chili fries. Huge serving. I ate ice cream (banana nut) at Farr's. That seems to be the state ice cream maker. I had a cheese and bacon potato at a place that only sells those (Brixton's). They must have doused the middle with some fake butter or something. I had to toss it. It was ridiculously fattening with just the toppings. I had some questionable Mexican at Beto's (a chain out West). I think that is is it. They opened the new terminal at the airport. Now it is a pain in the ass like most places. You have to walk forever to get out or to gate. The scanners are in a separate room and the lines took forever. Love that technology. The idiots that designed this make you walk all the way down one side and then over when they could have out the "over" portion first. It has been a low snow year. That made driving easier and enough (slopes) were open to please me. I'll probably go back in a month or so. To Bozeman and Big Sky first. Looks like it's a ski winter because of Covid and our afeared and feeble president. Maybe I'll move there?


No comments: