Monday, September 6, 2021

Connie's Cafe, Deland

I had hoped to finish off the last three Deland locations on my way out of and back into town, but, I decided to take another way back (next post) because one of the remaining spots is only open at night and I came back earlier than that. Didn't trust they would be open tonight. This place is a lunch only (closes at 2:30 I think) that opens around 10:30am. It is inside a building on the corner of the two main streets though town. New York and 17? I should know by now. I grabbed a turkey club melt for $6. It came on a pita. It was ok. I had prepared myself for breakfast. This was a compromise. The menu is mostly salads and sandwiches and burgers. The owner said she has been in charge for seven or so years? The place has been there much longer than that. It looks it. A bit dingy. Why I got my order to go. It seemed popular with with what seemed like locals. 

*I noticed into town that that breakfast place into town (other locations too) had shuttered.

**I finally stopped at a store on 40 in Silver Springs that touts Whoopie pies. I grabbed a Key Lime one for $3 and a Moxie (had just seen a tv show on how it was made) soda. Pie was better than the Moxie. They also sold other sweets and whoopie pies with ice cream. They are like big macaroons. The place is called Sweet Janes. It seemed like almost every restaurant on 40 had changed names (and probably ownership).

***Expect a deluge of posts. My vacay was truncated/sped up by Ida. The next few days will be spent exploring locally.

No comments: