Friday, September 10, 2021

Grub/Pub Crawl - Cocoa Village and Titusville: Cryderman's Barbecue, Bugnutty Brewing Company and Playalinda Brewing Co

I tried these places on Tuesday. The first two are before the bridge (King St) to the beach. Not the bridge that goes to Port Canaveral. The one south. It may be the Beach Line (528 I think). I came in the other way because I took the first bridge. In Cocoa Village. The last is on US 1 at the southern end of Titusville. I have to add that I took 46 to US 1 and down to Titusville to try the beach at Playalinda. It is inside the Canaveral/Merritt Island National Seashore and Wildlife Refuge. It costs $20 for a car. I bought the annual parks pass for $80 (my last one ran out last month anyway) and now I can go whenever I want. Which I will. I think I like it better than NSB. Plus I think it is closer. They even have a nude beach. Who knew? Can't believe I've been missing out for so long. I also re-visited the Haulover Canal. It's a little north. It's a manatee sighting place (read about them in the AAA magazine). As are the Indian River and Mosquito Lagoon inside the park. Summer isn't prime viewing season. 

Cryderman's Barbecue - A total surprise. I was early for Bugnutty and hadn't eaten yet. They are one block south (behind) of Bugnutty on Florida Ave. Alot of Texas style barbeque from a guy from Michigan. Cooks like a Texan though. Had a sample of brisket and three brisket confit tacos for $10. Brisket was perfect. The brisket for the tacos is scraps. However, they are clever (at least marketing wise) in calling them confit. They said they take the scraps and heat them in the oven to baste them in their own fat. I'm buying. Never seen that before. The tortillas and topping were good and fresh too. They also sell pork, ribs, turkey, sausage, etc. I just visited Texas and they compete. The place is mostly an outdoor seating area. Covered. Wood. It's cute. I wish we had one here. There is another branch in Melbourne. Cryder Man, Cryder Man. Does whatever a Cryder can. And that is cooking bbq!

Bugnutty Brewing Company - They moved from Meritt Island to here. I had a six flight trial for $15. All were good. I tried all types. Space is warehouse like. Open at 3pm. Lots of parking. I think they opened less than five years ago. There is another brewery nearby called Dirty Oar. It was closed on M and Tu. They also gave me a flyer for Oceanside Distillery in Cape Canaveral.

Playalinda Brewing Co - This spot is the"Brix" location. It's a term in alcohol production. They have the original in downtown. This spot is bigger and newer. More complete menu. I tried one beer (had tried others at bars) and had their poke. I met the chef and he recommended that over his tuna sashimi ramen special that Tuesday, a ribeye, tuna tataki and red fish. It cost $11 and the beer cost $4. Great prices. The other things mentioned were also reasonable (ribeye was $21). The poke was very fresh. All the components. And you know I don't crave poke. Jasmine flavored rice. This is a real gem. Some interesting things on the menu like malted cole slaw. The place is large and impressive. You can see the brewing equipment too. I was told that they started with a crazy chef who set the standards very high. So high that they couldn't turn a profit. The new team has toned it down a bit without losing touch. Not sure if it is now profitable. Quality is still beyond acceptable. Sounds like an episode of a Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares. Great for drinks and dinner. Opens at 4pm. Really surprised by this one. I think they opened this two years ago. The one downtown also opens at 4pm. Smaller menu. Oh. The beer was good too.

*I decided to break up the Travel Notes in the next two posts. Probably Sunday and Tuesday. Also, if you take 46 to the beach, know that the airboat ride place (on the billboard) isn't open for business anymore. Not sure if they will be again.


No comments: