Monday, March 14, 2022

Grub Crawl - Winter Garden: Morthan Cheese, Press'd, AntiquiTeas, NY Bagel (Cosed) and Rosallie *GA/TN/AL Travel Notes

I tried these places on Wednesday at lunch. The first three are in the marketplace. The last two are on Plant Street. I have given you almost all of them. I haven't done a popcorn place in the market. Whole Enchilada and Matthew's remain on Plant. The chocolatier (Torres?) is open again in the market.

Morthan Cheese - I grabbed a roast beef and raclette sandwich to go for $14. It was good. Cheese is their deal. The raclette was good. It's a Swiss staple. Not sure where they get theirs. The roast beef was probably Boar's Head. Four slices. Bun was ok.  Some arugula. Open for four years. They sell around a dozen things. The woman there was a bit cranky.

Press'd - My nightmare. A vegan stall that thinks it is saving the planet by not printing receipts. Just burning coal to charge the move to digital though. You may want to explore where those electric car batteries are being recycled too. Spoiler alert. It's a land fill. Or how we are becoming more of China's (raw earth metal barons) bitch as we drop carbons. But I digress. I grabbed the cheapest thing. A disgusting, rubber like "hot dog". In came in a pretzel bum. $5. Air fried/re-heated. They mostly have drinks. $10 smoothies for example Pre-Bidenflation. Some "puddings". Some "power balls". I think they said they were an original tenant.

AntiquiTeas - Love the name. Just a Harry Potter Magic Shop like stall of teas. I had a cold Ceylon Star for $3.50. It was good. many options. Another tenant from day one. Nice owner operator. Seemed to care. 

NY Bagel - Open for two years. I grabbed a bagel with cc for $3. Good bagel. CC also. They sell sandwiches and pizza and other baked things. Long, narrow lay out.

Rosallie - Across the street. Open for four years. A French sweets and drinks shop that sells some meals. I grabbed an apple turnover to go for $4.60. It was good. The sweets look posh. They offer brunch all day and croissant flatbreads and sandwiches and salads. A little expensive at around $15. Place has charm though. 

*Travel Notes - GA/TN/AL: I slept the first night in Ellijay GA at the Stratford Inn for $115 (rack rate). I drove east about twenty miles to the start of the Appalachian Trail. I came back and drove north to Sweetwater TN. I went to the Lost Sea for $26. It's America's Largest Underground Lake in a cavern. I drove north and west to Lebanon TN. Stayed at the Cedar Valley Inn for $94 (rack rate). I drove into Nashville and ate fried chicken at Hattie B's (on B, B and Que) . Pretty good. Bacon cheddar grits were better. Grabbed a burger to go at Gabby's Burger. On the same show. It was bad. Meatloaf like. Those were on the southern side of Nashville. It looked hip. A reclaimed industrial area with breweries, etc. A mile or so south, there seemed to be a rich area with prep schools, etc. I drove south to Huntsville AL. I saw it on Samantha Brown's Places to Love. They birthed the space program there. Basically responsible for everything until after the moon landing. Was an arms manufacturing point before that. Werner von Braun lived here. Space Camp is here. Saturn V rocket. Who knew? I took the US Space and Rocket Center Tour for $30. I stayed at the Comfort Inn for $115. Even more expensive in dt. I ate chicken fried steak with mac and cheese and mashed potatoes and corn bread at G's Country Kitchen (on the show too). DT was cute. Cute city overall. On the way out, I stopped at Burritt on the Mountain (also on the show). It's an an old timey village thing. Good view of city. Didn't pay the $8. Drove se past some lakes. Made it to Tifton GA. stayed at a La Quinta for $115 (rack rate). Stopped on 75 at Magnolia Plantation. It's a shitty tourist trap with billboards on 75.. Just crap and jams, etc. I learned that "butters" are just jams with caramel. They had many. Some funny named mixes like Frog (Fig, Raspberry, Orange, Ginger). I tried to go to Spurrier's in Gainesville. Only opens at 4pm. I rained alot. Made exploring more difficult. Lost Sea was overrated. Huntsville was worth it. 

No comments: