Monday, March 21, 2022

Grub Crawl - Winter Park and Altamonte Springs: Tous les Jours, La Rima, Kumo and Quickly Bistro

I was going to subject you to a root canal tutorial, but, I'll save that for another day because it probably won't be of any interest to anyone anyway. I tried these places tonight. The haphazard way they came about has alot to do with plan a and b going awry. And concerns about rush hour traffic. Ava is only open from Wednesday and Cupid's Hot dogs refuses to open. The first two are on Fairbanks in WP. The second two are in a strip mall with a supermarket near the Maitland overpass on 434.

Tous les Jours - Bakery. Open for three months. Was something like Bread something before. Owner changed franchises to this. He's Asian. They have an Asian feel (kim chi pastry). I grabbed a chestnut pastry for $4 because it looked cool and I've never had one. It was good. Brioche like in some areas. Croissant like in others. Chestnuts were orange-y and soft and sweet. They decorate the top with dough pieces that look like soft pretzel nuggets. Attractive. They sell other handhelds (sweet and savory) and cakes and drinks. Small hallway on the left to eat in. You grab a tray and tongs and go to work. Visible pricing would be nice. Just off the North Orange (17-92) and Fairbanks intersection.

La Rima - Another pointless drinks spot (actually saw another similar one called Kos down the block). Open for a year. By Tin & Taco on the block that starts at Rollins. Had a cold Chrysanthemum. It tasted like black pepper. Saw flecks of black in the cup. Either sabotaged or that's what it should taste like. I mean I was a maskless adult man invading a safe space. The flake of snow would have been within her rights to teach me a lesson. It robbed me of $5.

Kumo Asian - Sushi rolls, ramen, apps and bentos. Had no salmon for the bento so I overpaid for two rolls (s and t). Better than I was expecting, but still around supermarket quality. And I yell at them for charging $8. These cost $11. Rice was ok. Nori wapped. Cigar shaped. Big waste of space entrance area. Can't remember if there was an eat in space beyond. Order at the counter. No frills. Open for three years.

Quickly Bistro - The bag had many countries and a web site listed on it. It may be a chain. Pan Asian. Pad Thai, Pho, bao, fried rice, bento, etc. Something called fried Pho. And drinks. Gotta have drinks or women would just waste their (?) money on shoes and handbags and botox and makeup and nails and jewelry and perfume and clothes and hair and plastic surgery and yoga and chocolate. I was talked into volcano (tempura shrimp, fake crab and mayo) bao. 3 for $9. Pre-fried, mostly shrimpless tempura. Tough. A let down in three acts. Black wall with images of famous landmarks. Open for five years. Adding "neutral Vega" to the mix soon. Ended up being worse than Kumo. 

*I saw that a Ceviche (behind 7-11 on Fairbanks near Rollins) had closed. Being taken over by a Korean spot. And I told you about Kos (closed Monday). Another drink place near the lot behind Ava was also closed today.  I think I'll try downtown tomorrow. Although, I may have alienated half my audience yet again. It's jokes ladies. Just jokes. We kid because we care.


No comments: