Thursday, March 10, 2022

Grub Crawl - Winter Park: Asia Kitchen, Jam Hot Chicken and The Imperial

I tried the places last Friday at lunch and dinner. The first is in a strip mall on Lake Howell Rd (one block west of 436). The second is in Hannibal Square. The third is at S. Knowles off Park Ave.

Asia Kitchen - They said they replaced (and updated) a take out spot that had been there for twenty years. Don't remember it. Around three months ago. This isn't much of an improvement. I hope. They just made it look slightly modern. The menu still seems like take out. I was expecting "sit down" quality. The interior is also not conducive to eating in (three tables). I had the sisig pork for $13. I have had this three times since I tried it properly done in the Phillipines. Each time it gets worse. It's supposed to be parts of the head. I've had pork belly, ground pork and now the diced pork they probably use in the pork fried rice. It was tough. Alot of it. That made it hurt more. Not much flavor. Maybe fish and soy sauce and vinegar. Lots of diced onion. Came with rice. They sell bao, rangoon, summer roll, dumplings and soups as apps. General Tso, drunken chicken, lo mein, etc as mains. Bentos. Bobas and smoothies. They have a robot delivery machine for kicks. Waste of money if you ask me. The owner and her family were taking up one of the three available tables. It just is underwhelming. Meals took a while to prepare too. Open 11-9. No Sn. Pass.

Jam Hot Chicken - They sell four takes on hot fried chicken breast (and some odds and ends). A cold one in a wrap. One on bread. One in a bun. One other. In a little shack/kiosk. Open since December. This was the fourth time I tried the, First time - not open yet. Second time - not open on Monday or Tuesday. Third time - forty minute wait. Open 11-8. I had the most expensive sandwich on a bun for $14. It was ok. I asked for mild. It was hot. Slaw was spongy. Chicken too. Bun was glossy. Pickles ok. Ok crust. Fell off a little too easily. Big bird. It is what it is.

The Imperial - I've been to the other two. This one seems a bit more structured for food. I shared shrimp and avocado ceviche ($17) and a baked brie platter ($12). The first was better and fresher. Brie ws bland and bread was worse. Also had fruit. The had a singer singing. Pretty packed. it has been open for over a year. Same decor of furniture as the other places. Service was good. Wine by the glass was $10+. 

*I'll have some travel notes later in the week. Site is acting buggy again. That's why this is so short.

No comments: