Friday, January 6, 2023

Grub Crawl - College Park, Baldwin Park and Winter Springs: New Moon Market, Cafe 906 and Argentinian Bakery

I tried these places on Friday afternoon. They are a collection of outliers that I've had on the list for a while. I went after failing to achieve my primary objectives. The first is College Park just right of Princeton. The second is near the lake on New Broad St. The third is in a renovated strip mall on 434 in between Winter Springs and 17-92.

New Moon Market - Everything I hate. Dippy food and health nonsense at grossly inflated prices. Only went because of that Edible list. Thought I had gone before. Probably just walked out last time. A grabbed the cheapest thing. A $5 tiny cookie. Blueberry. They also sell sandwiches (mid teens), salads, pressed juices ($9), hot drinks ($6 and up) and smoothies ($12). They have been their a while. Small place. A few seats. One employee. Closes at 2pm.

Cafe 906 - Always closed when I tried them before. Also on that Edible list. Looked like they serve a fair French fare. Pastries, sandwiches and crepes mostly. Fair prices. Sweet crepes were $6. Savory a touch more. Sandwiches were only $9. I remember something about their macaroons (their spelling). They didn't look that impressive. I grabbed an apple croissant for $3.50. Seating inside and out. Not fancy. Decent sized crowd.

Argentinian Bakery - Saw them driving by a few months ago. They are never open when I'm around there though. Only Th-Sn. 9am to 3pm on Th and til 5pm on the other days. This was a Puerto Rican place last time. Now a pretty substantial bakery with a side dining area. I grabbed a chicken empanada for $3.50. Very big and stuffed. Light and rich crust. Seems like only onion in there as well. A little bland. It is Argentina after all. They are less "expressive" don't you know. Also had three others. Lots of sweets. Sandwiches. Milanesa (breaded chicken or beef). And other things. The even have a coffee called a Submarino that has milk and a chocolate bar in it. Left side has display case in front of kitchen. You can see the things being made. Right side had about five tables. TV with Argentinian sports/news on. Cafe look. Seemed popular with people who seemed Argentinian. It's not like we have a lot of resources for this cuisine. Said bakery opened 2 years ago. Cafe just 2 months ago. This strip mall is getting better clients. It has an E Bike shop and a craft beer retailer now. Oh hell, I'll put them on the Favorites List prematurely for diversity's sake.

*Drove by Edoboy. Sign in window said no walk ups anymore. So, I guess you'll have to go elsewhere to hear about it. I was barely in to begin with. And I think I saw a new Italian place in CP. Turci Pasta or something. And a untried restaurant on Broad in BP. Blue Jackets? Four Guys Pho in Casselberry changed to Never Phoget or  something.

No comments: