Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Doshi, Winter Park

I tried this Korean "do over" in the strip mall at N Orlando and Lee Rd at dinner on Friday. I say "do over" because it started as an omikase Japanese concern. All the better for us, as far as I'm concerned. I found it to hit on all cylinders. An adult effort for adults in a time of kinder care experiences. And it was a relative bargain at their price points. Disregarding the 11 course tasting menu for $150, prices were reasonable. The menu is broken into three categories with one dessert. 8 Banchan Bites ($9-$24). 8 KKochi skewers ($8-$10). 7 Table Dishes ($20-$36). I believe the menu changes frequently. I tried a pork belly kkochi for $12. Six cut pieces of Kurobuta pork off two skewers. A little on the rare side. Could have used a bit more char. Maybe they should kiss it with a blowtorch. I also tried the Godeungeo Jorim for $22 because it was the weirdest thing and I think I've only had it once before. That's a mackerel (four or five hunks) stew. In a red broth with lots of vegetables (barely cooked). And rice. Very filling. They also throw in three banchan. Spicy cauliflower. Sweet boiled peanuts. Pine nut stuffed shishito peppers. All firsts and great. They serve seafood, pork, chicken, beef/waygu and vegetables. Nice plating with nice nice tableware. The room is small. 22 seats. Lots of space between tables. Large open kitchen with six seats in front for the tasting menu. Earth toned. Modern Asian. There is a bar to the right. Service is beyond attentive. Maybe one person for every six people. They aren't dedicated to any one area. Dressed in black uniforms. They engaged. Sincerely. I came in unannounced (with no letters of introduction) and they somehow didn't tell me to hit the bricks. They squeezed me into an available table (tardy party) when they could have easily been difficult. Lucky for both of us that we got me out of there without the party of the first part (or is it the second part?) not having to wait very long. The place was packed. A very diverse clientele. Not much of a dress code. Not snobby. The wine list (and sake and soju and beer) was interesting. I'm truly glad I finally made the move to try this. They are only open for dinner. I forget if they take any days off. Take note. This is how you go about "fancying up" non-traditionally fancy cuisine. I believe they opened in the Fall.

No comments: