Thursday, January 12, 2023

Grub Crawl - North OBT and West Orlando: Nick's Family Diner, P & D Soul Food Kitchen and Mr Sub Shop

I tried these places on Tuesday at lunch. The first is north of Lee Rd on OBT (441). About a quarter mile. The last two are in a newish building off W. Gore St at S. Goldwyn Ave. Southwest of the Citrus Bowl. Past John Young. I'm not sure which exit off I-4 you will have to use. I used Gore to get back on it. I came down on OBT because I was already on it. The first two were on that Edible list. The last was something I ran into while there. If you knew how crampy and gassy my insides have been (and how much ass pissing has transpired) since X-mas, you would be very thankful for these musings. I only bring that up to warn you. Today is the first time there seems to be improvement. I ate almost everything on this post with minimal after effects. I usually catch things before most of America. Maybe this is/was the latest Covid strain? No cough or lung trouble though. If not, be prepared for some kind of stomach flu to strike down upon America with great vengeance and furious anger this winter.

Nick's Family Diner - I believe the menu said they opened in 2010. I only grabbed a bagel with cc to go because of the prices. It cost $3. A terrible bagel that they couldn't be bothered to spread the cc on. They just tossed in two tiny containers of some no name cc. With regards to the pricing, I missed that things mostly come with a side. IE egg and cheese sandwich is $8 (hfries, hbrowns or grits), CB is $12 (side and soup), club sandwich (side and soup) was $14, Cuban $12, ham and cheese $10, chef salad $14. I guess that's not outrageous any more. Two eggs with meat and a side is $10. They had a big menu. Some old stuff like liver and onions ($15). Specials. Looks like and old, brown cafe/house. Square layout. Closed on Monday. 8am - 2:30pm. They have a to go window in front. They charge 4% for credit cards. May deserve a second look if I'm ever near there again.

P&D Soul Food Kitchen - No dine in. Small foot print. 11am - 7pm. No Monday. They were pushing the "buffet", so, I'm not sure if they were making the other things on the menu. Mostly fried things. They wrote that that takes 10 or 20 minutes for those. I settled on the cheapest value. The daily special for $7. I chose the quarter baked dark meat chicken with rice and a side and corn bread because it looked safe and was ready to go. Still worried about the tum tum you know. You had a choice of around six vegetables, one other rice and meatloaf and bbq chicken. The chicken was small but tender and tasty. The rice (yellow) was plentiful and tasty. A bit over cooked. They drizzled the juice the chicken was resting in on top of it. I chose rutabaga for the vegetable. Tender. Cooked in vinegar. Good. Not something you see often. Other things waiting in the serving receptacle were: oxtail ($18 for a small), cubed steak ($13), short ribs ($16), etc. They also had things like pigs feet. It was better than I expected. The neighborhood is a little (a little) rough. A few police cars parked on different streets with flashing lights on. Like they do at a ball game. Except - no ball game. Their building and parking area seemed safe. I think you'll return in one piece. They could be just good enough to make you risk it. They took credit cards. They said they had been here for nine years. I believe two years elsewhere before that. 

Mr Sub Shop - On the north corner of the building. They said they took over six months ago. Not sure how long it was in business before that. The owner (or employee) seemed Haitian. I grabbed a fried chicken sandwich to go (because it seemed like the hardest thing to fuck up) for $6. It was better than I expected. Which was not much. A frozen, packaged, hockey puck of chicken. Actually better than most of the non-premium fried chicken sandwich pucks that you get at most fast food places now. I can't guess the brand. The bun was ok. Not stale. The veg (o,l,t) ok. She seemed to be picking through the containers for the freshest ones. Some mayo. They also sold fried rice, egg rolls, sandwiches, burgers, ff, etc. Small foot print. Maybe three tables of two. Not a destination spot.

No comments: