Friday, August 4, 2023

Grub Crawl - Milk District: Otto's High Dive and Smoke & Donuts

I tried these two spots on Friday night. The first is on East Robinson and just off Bumby. Next to Stasio's Deli. The second is closer to 50 on North Primrose. Next to Seven Bites.

Otto's High Dive - It is upscale Cuban inspired fare with a rum bar (I think they call it Abandanza or something). I wonder why it is called Otto's? It opened in December. Only dinner. Seven days. It will be on the Favorites List. I had the pork belly for $28. It was one of the better dishes I've had (not just in CF) in a while. The pork belly was so tender and succulent. Maybe the best I've ever been served. Like buttah. I would have eaten it even if it was all fat and no meat. It sat atop a corn puree with pickled blueberries that may have been even better. They said there was no funky aged cheese accent added to it. Through some accidental (or purposeful) alchemy it tasted like there was. And it tasted magical. The portion size isn't huge, but, it packs so much intense flavor that you won't need more. The menu is smallish. Media noche is the cheapest at $16. Ropa vieja at $24. A few other things (like chicken) from the low twenties to over thirty. $2 imported oysters. $18 tuna ceviche app. A few more apps like that. I think I remember an interesting fish tiradito for $20. They have a section of finger foods like croquettas. They were $6. Sides as well, of course. The dishes I saw around me (and comments) all were encouraging. The dish came out fast. But, not too fast. I sat at the bar because it was full to capacity. There is also a patio in front and a slender area in between. Some other bar like seats at the window. There are so many people on the staff. Seven alone around the bar area. Two hostesses. And it is a small foot print. The staff is hopelessly on trend. Nose rings (on the men now) and tats galore. You know. Comformist originality. Though it really has been going on for so long that it is probably better described as retro or normative at this point in time. At least they aren't back to slicing their tongues in half. The crowd was diverse (not just in superficial tones). The place has a black, white and maple color palette. The bar is well stocked. Many "curated" cocktails. It is separated from the main room by a half wall. Maybe ten seats at the bar and ten tables in the main room. Five outside. Parking is an issue. I forget the story about the man behind the magic. I think he has some credentials. If not, this place should supply hin with them. I was ambivalent (mostly because I have found that Cuban cuisine has a low ceiling) about the place before I ate here. Just the next on the list to try. Now I'm convinced. The standards seem high. The creativity is present. The execution is flawless. I just wish there was a special or two to really push the boundaries. And I'm not even complaining about the prices. You know it's good! I would find my way here asap. Ohh, they add in a 18% gratuity. But, at least they informed me of it. Query - is mandatory gratuity going to be the new participation trophy? Because, you know, apparently any kind of praise is no longer OPTIONAL. And ownwership is another Gen X parent. I will end by stating that when I compare them to some of the questionable selections in the Michelin Guide that I have eaten at recently, I surely hope they put these guys on the next list. Or make them the bar you have to surpass to get on it. They present you with a praiseworthy product. Not just a praiseworthy product that fills a slot. Though (if they aren't vile Anglo appropriators) they do that too. And that goes for all the other ratings entities or individuals engaged in diversity scale im/re/un/balancing.

Smoke & Donuts - Now the flip side. I had the pit sampler for $18. It was a choice of three meats (I did brisket, pulled pork and sausage) with one side (I did mashed potatoes) and cornbread. The cornbread was the best. And that's the rub (no pun). The baking side seems solid. The bbq is not. The brisket tasted like roast beef or prime rib. No smoke. Rubbery. Tough. Not sliced right. The pork was thick strands of tough and flavorless meat. The sausage was ok (some nice earthy flavors). But, I'll bet they buy it. The portion sizes were also not too generous. And they bragged about how well they do this. Reality check? The mashed potatoes (with gravy) were a goopy mess. Sort of like runny Boston Market mp. The sauces were also not great. And man do you need them! They also had ribs and chicken and maybe turkey. The usual sides. Not cheap. I think sandwiches started at near double digits and single meat plates at mid teens. The best bargain seemed to be a chopped brisket on a donut for $6. You order at a counter. They have a few tables. The donuts (behind the counter) looked amazing. I think the do breakfast too. Not much ambience. I think it was an ancient diner/cafe before this. Parking in front. Don't expect too much (or hope I had a bad sampler) and you may not be disappointed. Maybe avoid the "smoke"? Open 7 days. L & D. Open for a year or six months? I forget what they said.

*Congratulations to those old crones Downtown that spent 3 million bucks for the next homeless encampment at Lake Eola. And have you seen this meat crust pizza from Argentina? Am I late to the table on this one?


No comments: