Saturday, December 16, 2023

Grub Crawl - Belle Isle and SoDo: Caravan and Talkin Tacos

I tried these spots during the day on Wednesday. The first is Uzbeki. They also claim a little Turkish influence. The second is Mexican. It was already around two pm, so, I had my items at both places wrapped up to go. I liked both.

Caravan - I believe the last occupant was a steakhouse (Steer). It was a German place before that. I told you in the last Travel Notes from England that I had never had Uzbeki before that trip. Interesting that we would get this right after I wrote that. I felt I had been sitting on them for too long. I was right. They will be on the Favorites list. I tried as much (within reason) as I could/should on this visit. I had Samsa with Beef for $5. Cheburak for $5. Lula Qiyma for $10. The Samsa was a baked pastry filled with small cubes of beef. Nice sesame covered, glossy crust on the pastry. Tender enough meat for a pie. Pretty much filled the whole (Afghani/Pakistani) samosa like container. I believe they seasoned with cumin and bitter herbs. It could be a small meal. Such as a pasty or empanada. I enjoyed it. The Cheburek was a pan fried, mezzaluna shaped crepe that looked like an omelet. It wasn't egg though. Dough. Crisp (at the edges) and spongy. Filled with ground beef. The same seasonings as the Samsa plus a sour flavor. Big. Like a three egg omelet size. The Lula was a kebab of ground beef. Slightly different spicing. Not as much cumin. Generous portion. Maybe ten inches long. I should say that all the dishes had good enough quality meat. Superior to most restaurants that serve similar (in geography) dishes. This dish might have used the best cut. Which would make sense because it was double the price. I liked this alot as well. They tossed in some hot sauce and a whole container of sliced red onion. I didn't have the sauce with the first two because I ate them on I-4. It would have been too messy and dangerous. The kebab had enough flavor that it didn't really improve the experience. Just overwhelmed the flavors. The first two are more app like. The last is a main. People probably order a few and a side of rice. They had some dishes like that on the menu in the high teens. Also some soups, noodle dishes, more rice dishes, specialities, other sections of animals, desserts, etc. A bit pricy. Twenties to thirties. Beef, chicken, goat?, lamb. They had some inards too. Out of the liver. I suspect that they are Halal/Moslem by the clientel. Don't remember if they had alcohol. They did have some tap and give machine for a mosque that I have never encountered before. The place is square with a low ceiling. They white washed the red brick. Limited decor. It looks cheery. One big tv showing a video on a loop of people making some kind on bread in a clay oven. I suppose it their version of naan/lavash. Maybe twenty or so tables. Some twos. Some fours. Even at that hour, the place was about a quarter full. They spoke English well. Lots of parking. I believe they opened around three months ago. A nice edition. Not just a curiosity.

Talkin Tacos - They are in the strip mall with a Publix and a Mooyo and PDQ. South of Michigan. They said it is a franchise that started in Miramar. Now a few locations in South Florida and Atlanta and DC and another coming in CF. I saw their sign months ago. When I tried to find it I couldn't. I assumed they had closed or never opened. They had just not opened yet. They opened two weeks ago. I almost walked out when I scrolled through the kiosk and only found only $12 three taco or burrito or salad or nacho options. They showed me how to just get one. Remember that I had alot of that weighty food from Caravan already. But, I was in the neighborhood and also like beating everyone to the punch. I sampled a birria with Taki chips for $5. It was good. The beef was chewable (not always the case with Mexican beef dishes and birria in particular). A goodly amount. The Taki's (spicy Doritos) added a little heat and texture (and fun). Some white onion. Crispy/oily shell. Flavorful beef broth dipping sauce. Came out fast. I liked it. Enough to go back and try the other kinds. Maybe enough to sneak onto the Favorites? They had around twelve kinds of fillings. Chicken, asada, pastor, mahi mahi. I can't remember the rest. Some just had things (like Takis) in them. It is fast casual. A rectangular bueprint. Not big. Some seating. Vibrant look. It was pretty full at 2:30pm. Different enough to entice. No JAMMR. A GMR. I'll be back.   

*If Big Chicken is to be at 250 East Michigan and that is the old Boston Market, it is not close to opening. They haven't started the demo yet. I also saw that near the condos on South Orange (south of the hospital), they opened a fast food chicken place (looks sharp) called Pollo Camaneros or something like that. I have to check if I have tried another location. It sounds familiar. I think I saw a few placards in the ares that seemed new in old locations. I will have to research what has come and gone when there is less traffic. If that is possible in that area anymore. I will have a post in a few days with some Travel Notes.                                                                                                                                                             

No comments: