Thursday, December 7, 2023

Mares, Winter Park

I passed on this new (one or two months) Peruvian restaurant on Tuesday at lunch. It is on Park Ave near Fairbanks. I had high hopes, but, the pricing is just predatory. I gave you JAMMRs. Now I give you ROPPRs (Ridiculously Over Priced Peruvian Restaurants). It's becoming a trend. I wonder if it is the raw fish element that makes them think that they can charge kaiseki prices? Which, incidentally, is also out of control. Not to mention $7 California Rolls at the supermarket. So, they are only the second enterprise to be shunned (reviewed without trying). Mostly because I don't want to waste my money or energy on something that will be out of business in under six months. I should reiterate that I had high hopes (being among the first to see their opening) and I really like Peruvian cuisine. Low ceilings. Square room. Roll bar in the rear. White and blue tones. Pretty empty. Twenty or so tables. A few outside. The menu has $20+ soups and apps. Their version of patatas bravas was $19. $22 rolls. $25+ chaufas (fried rice). $40+ mains. You get the picture. It is just a bad value proposition. Even if everything is spectacular, it is still two to three times too expensive. The ambience or service certainly doesn't support it. At lunch, at least, they have to offer discounted pricing, specials and off ramps. Don't get ROPPed in.

*This post will be followed up tomorrow by a real one.

No comments: