Friday, January 5, 2024

Grub Crawl - Disney Area: Kung Fu Kitchen, Portillo's, White Castle and K-Bob

I tried these spots on Tuesday at lunch. The first is in that strip mall off Palm Parkway that has Kitty O'Shea's and Susuru. The rest are in a new strip mall area a little way closer to Sand Lake Rd on Palm Parkway. They have many newly built places (like World of Beer and Raising Cane's) over here. I got off I-4 at Sand Lake and drove down. I think you can also get off at the Disney Springs exit and go the opposite way.

Kung Fu Kitchen - Not KF Dumplings or KF the drink chain. I believe they are an outpost of a NYC resto. Open for two months. Mostly dumplings, noodles, rice and ramen. I tried the Pork Xiao Long Bao (soup dumplings) at $14 and the sticky rice shui mai dumplings at $9. The soup dumplings (6) were flat circles. Ok. A little pasty. Bland soup. The sticky rice ones (4) were new to me. Ok. The rice tasted a bit like wild rice. The pork was not prevalent. So, all in all, I'd choose Kung Fu Dumplings or Bakery 1908 over them (for example). It was packed though. The noodles and rice and ramen were around $20. The wonton soup was around $15. Dumplings and vegetable dishes were $9 to $14. A square room. Black and red with gray floor tile. Maple tables. Wood Chinese "screens" around the exterior. Steam basket tops on the wall. Quick service. A bit disappointing.

Portillo's - A hot dog chain from Chicago (1963). Large floor plan. Looks like a 50's Diner. Cool. I grabbed a Chicago Dog for $4. It was ok. The casing was a bit rubbery/tough. The dog was a bit bologna-like. Good veg. I think someone took me to the original when I worked in Chicago. They offer up burgers, Italian beef, sausages, salads, chicken, fish, bowls, fries, sides, shakes and desserts (I saw a guy icing a chocolate cake). Pricing was fair. Order at a counter. Big guitar and upside down tables, etc hanging from the ceiling. Clean. New. 

White Castle - I have been to many around the country. This is one of nicer/newer ones. I just grabbed a hamburger for $1.19. One of the fresher ones. Came out in seconds. You know what they are all about.

K-Bob Korean Street Food - I saw them there and had to try. Prices seemed to high. +$14 for tiny bowls and $8 corn dogs. I tried a $6 Hotteok (pancake). It was ok. Like a non-spiral Cinnamon Roll. Square. They also sell boba, fried chicken and are promising bingsu (milk based shaved ice) in the future. The place is red, white and modern. New. Order at a counter. Seats. Fast food looking. I don't think it is a chain though. May be ok if the food is.

No comments: