Sunday, May 31, 2009

Tang's, Sand Lake

On Saturday I had dinner at Tang's restaurant on Dr. Phillips. I had the Red Curry Chicken for $14. It was unlike any Thai dish I've had before. An uncut, grilled chicken breast was placed atop length-wise sections of carrot, squash and zucchini in a pool of red curry. It was decorated with strings of carrot and an orchid. The waiter came by with jasmine and curry rice and portioned out contents in a separate ritual. The meal was excellent. Extremely tasty! The service was great. Every member of the staff (including owners) aided in the task. They showed great care in my satisfaction. They were stylishly dressed and reverent. The waiter even went as far as to replace the orchid on my plate before serving because it had moved slightly on its way from the kitchen. The restaurant itself had the requisite Thai decollatage. But, they added elements that made it thoroughly modern. They even had booths (which struck me as funy because I just saw a Chris Rock special in which he observed that girls always want a booth. They were indeed peopled with women). The wine list was great. Not the usual best sellers and distributor influenced dreck. Someone has taken this upon themselves. The place was immaculate. I was given a good seat. Everyone dining (aside from one table of yokels) was dressed well. The place was about half full, but getting fuller as the night went on. They had alot of courses that you won't find on a traditional Thai menu. All improvements in conception. Parking was easily found across from the entrance. An unbelievable surprise. I can't understand how anyone wastes their time with greasy Chinese take-out when you can do Thai or Vietnamese. It's so cheap. I order you to realign your sensibilities. Thai is the new (always was) Chinese.

No comments: