Monday, May 25, 2009

Tuscany's, Winter Springs

On Saturday night I went to this Italian eatery on Winter Springs Rd. I had the special for $14.95. The special was four cutlets of chicken covered in ham, mushrooms, provolone, goat cheese and a sherry reduction (I thought the waitress said Cherry. Now that would have been creative). It came with a generous bowl of angel hair on the side. It was not overcooked. The main dish was enormous. I walked out like a pregnant Buddha. It's hard to complain when they serve you so much that you wonder what their margins are, however, I must disclose that it was a bit rich at these levels. I must have received two ice cream scoops of goat cheese. That said, it's better than the alternative and I could have pushed away the plate at any time. The entree came with a Caesar Salad (a little pasty) and warm bread. Did I mention that I think I ordered the most expensive dish? The prices here are great. Most pasta entrees were under 10$. I saw mammoth sandwiches coming out of the kitchen. The owner was gregarious and seemed to have a lot of regulars. They had 4 or 5 waitresses for about 15 tables. The service was prompt and communicative (although another victim of the correct pronounciation of the dish - chicken francese). The decor is bad. Plastic vines, grapes and plants. The place was a little loud. A drunken party with kids and low ceilings combined to assault my temples. The owner was overhead discussing expansion plans. I'm not sure if that will close them down so call before you go. The one negative was the small selection of appetizers and their cost. They are almost as much as the entrees. But, who needs two courses when one is more than enough here. Don't ever think Carrabba's or Macaroni Grill if you live anywhere near here. I curse you if you do. But if you do, you are probably already cursed with a small brain. You know how I feel about most mid-level Italian restaurants. This place is the antithesis. Even the liquor was below the usual mark up.

No comments: