Sunday, May 9, 2010

Garden Cafe, W.50

I had dinner at this Chinese Vegetarian Cafe on W. 50 near the O-rena last night. I had a faux shrimp and chicken entree with mixed vegetables in a brown sauce for $10. It was very tasty. The faux meat was probably the worst of it. It looked like what it was replacing, but, the shrimp tasted like shirimi and the chicken didn't taste like much of anything. The vegetables (zucchini, mushrooms, carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower) were all very fresh and clean. The sauce was savory. It came with a bowl of rice that was dry and old. I didn't have room for it anyway. The platter was huge. The place is a bit unwelcoming. It is a white brick edifice with bars on the window (obviously necessary given the neighborhood). I could never tell if it is opened or closed or if it was abandoned. Inside it is a square box with low ceilings. The tables and chairs are black with white table cloths. There is not much decoration. The service was good (fast). It seats about 90. There were three other dining at 6pm. I don't love vegetarian food, but, I have to admit I felt energized all night after eating here. Too bad I'm not that concerned with my well being. They get a plus for $1 sodas and a minus for not accepting AMEX or giving a receipt.

No comments: