Friday, May 7, 2010

Grease, Wayne Densch

I saw this musical in Sanford on Friday night. Let me say that I have seen the movie hundreds of times, but, I had never seen it on stage. I think the stage book is better. Even the contracted scenery made more sense. Most of the singing (save Sandy) was passable. The acting and dancing was another story. Danny, Rizzo and Sandy were particularly bad. Doody was visibly gay. He looked like Will Forte. He squealed like a queen. He did sing and dance well (shocker). I do have to applaud the director's brave decision to see what a musical would be like if he placed his least talented actors in the leads. Here's a tip. Don't assign roles based on head shots. The audience made it up about 2/3 rds of the way up the orchestra seating. The best thing about it was watching the little kids eyes grow as big as saucers whenever something blue was said on stage. Tickets were $18.

No comments: