Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Club/Grub Crawl - Downtown : Sonoma (Closed), The Abbey, Frank and Steins, The Attic, Que Rico Food Truck, Whitewood

Last Friday

10-10:30pm: Sonoma - Had a drink at this beer-centric bar/restaurant in TP. They totally re-did this previously Miami-ish club space to make it look like a lodge. How this and the beer evokes Sonoma is anybody's guess. It was surprisingly full. Some customers said it was more crowded than usual. It is a pretty big space. Unsurprisingly (this will be a theme), it was mostly dudes. Even some dudes that dig dudes. No Cover.

10:30-10:31pm: The Abbey - Tried to get a drink at this bar/theater around the corner from Sonoma. It was being rented for a benefit. Looks cool though. No Cover.

10:45-11pm: Frank and Steins - Tried an awful sparkling sake drink at this pub/sports bar. All dudes. Seemed busier than I expected from a place that is hidden away a block east of Church and Orange. They have some food, but, it's an afterthought (the franks in their name). No Cover.

11pm-1am: The Attic - A large helping of dudes, but, some outrageously hot co-eds. Granted they dress and act like they come from UCF, but, at least there is gold to polish. The crowd felt like a fraternity's little sister pre-rush party. The music was good. The crowd was young. People were f upped. It was interesting. The one downer was that it became a pain to get served. No Cover.

1am-1:10am: Que Rico Food Truck - I had a Columbian BLT (La Perra) for $4. It's bacon, potato sticks, lettuce, a spicy tomato based and mayo sauce, pineapple, cilantro and pimento. There was a lot of bacon and i believe it wasn't baco-bits. maybe too much sauce. But, I liked it even if it sat in my fridge until lunch and had to be nuked. There are on Pine and Orange.

1:10am-1:20am: - Whitewood - I got their sampler platter and a lentil soup to go. The guy charged me $5, but, I think that was a late night/grand opening teaser rate. The sampler had hummus, babaganoush, a salad of parsley or mint, cous cous and tomatos and pita. All were respectable. I asked for a Fattoush salad, but, since I just looked it up and it's some bread salad I seemed to have been thrown a curveball. The hummus was a little bland, but, that may mean it had less calories. I have no use for baba so I threw it in with some dry packed chicken soup (hang over remedy) and it worked well as a thickener. I also tossed in the salad that remains nameless after eating half of it. I'm sure it was good whatever it's called, but, it tasted like pico de gallo and bitter herbs to me. Not on my must have list. The lentil soup was very thick with lentils. A little bland. The guys seem cool. It's good that that location on Orange (used to be a tattoo parlor) is in use again. The name is derived from the look of the burnt wood under the cooking surface. It's Syrian/Lebanese.

No comments: