Friday, November 28, 2014

Duffy's Sports Grill, Lake Mary

I've been to this sports bar three times since they opened a few weeks ago. The first time I had a few drinks. The second time I had a mediocre (overcooked) tuna burger with a small portion of good fries for $12. The third time I had some very uninspired seared tuna for $15. I can confidently say that they are not a quality food option. I would stay away from anything more complicated or sophisticated than a burger. The prices are also around 20%to 50% too high. The tuna burger was like dry cat food. The seared tuna was small (6oz for the large). It came with a bad attempt at cucumber salad and cold soba noodles. The place looks great. It's about the sixth time someone has poured mucho dinero into this location in the center off 46a that has the Amstar theaters. The service is good now, but, I wonder what will happen when the Hunger Games like auditioning process subsides. I expect that only the most masochistic entrants will remain and the carnival like vibe will die. The place is decorated in sports memorabilia, football helmets and televisions. It is run like a corporation. Heavy sales and marketing emphasis. They will exploit every opportunity to turn a profit. As an MBA holder, I appreciate the professionalism. As a customer, I kind of resent the imposition. Also on the down side, they won't publish most of their drink prices (I can see why when they charge $9 for a glass of cheap wine that you can buy for $7 a bottle at retail) and they close at 1pm. I don't see how they thrive once college football season ends. Shula's across the street is better and cheaper.

No comments: