Sunday, November 9, 2014

Nikki's, Parramore District

I went to this Soul Food spot on West Carter (below the 408 on the Citrus Bowl side) after the Rainbow debacle. I wanted fried chicken, but, they only do that on Sundays (closed Tuesday). So, I audibled for something I had never tried before - pork necks. They were $7 and came with two sides and cornbread. I took mashed potatoes and mac and cheese. The necks (6 pieces) were salty. I assume they were vertebrae. Not a ton of meat. I could swear the potatoes were a mix, but, there were some small chunks in there. The gravy was ok. The mac had tons of punchless Parmesan (is that even possible) and ricotta (I think). The pasta was way overcooked. The place seats about thirty. There were five others there. It has been open a while and is in now in the hands of the son of the original owner. Since it is not breaking any new ground and the execution doesn't impress and the neighborhood is sketchy, I would pass on it.

No comments: