Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Grub Crawl - Winter Park: Umi and Parkview

I went to these two places on Park Ave after Brass Tap two Saturday's ago.

Umi - This place near the 7-11 has been a host of Japanese places over the years. This version is pretty good. I had 2 pieces of salmon ($4 each), squid (listed as $2 each but they tried $4) and tuna ($3 each) nigiri. The salmon was ok. The squid was excellent (snappy, firm). The tuna was ok (tasted of lemon). They prepared their rice properly. Firm kernels/grains and not too vinegary. I also had two things from the robata. Tsukune (two meat kabobs at $4) that gave me a little indigestion and bacon enoki ($6) which consisted of six bacon wrapped morsels. Prices were a little all over the place. Who has salmon more than tuna? I just realized they hosed me on that one too. It says $3 for salmon on take out menu. They price sushi by the piece, but, you have to order two minimum. Lunch is not so special at $14 and $16 for very meager portions of sushi or sashimi. I don't feel like parsing the menu. Just go and be selective. The chef/owner is Korean. There is some cross over. The place looks the same. They have some unique imports. It was better than I expected.

Parkview - It was a wine bar. Now it is a wine/beer bar. They have a Wellington on the menu and I keep saying I'll try it and I can't work it in. Could only work in some terrible barrel aged beer this time as well. Similar to what it was. Maybe a bit more experimental. It looked like it was in the hands of a Polish family now. Cute girls. I left at 11pm because of a road trip to Texas that started the next day at 9am.

No comments: