Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Pub Crawl - Mills Park: Segafredo and Brass Tap

I guess Virginia and Mills is now Mills Park. I went to these two new bar/restaurants about a week ago on Saturday night.

Segafredo - I tried to find something on their boring beer and wine menu, but, settled for a coffee. I finger high pour in a porcelain shot glass. It cost $2 and looked like dip juice. Tasted burnt. I will give them kudos for the piece of chocolate and shot of water it came with. Let's get this out of the way. I don't get coffee. I associate it with second period craps in between classes in high school. I've tried to get with the program. If I want caffeine, I'll have a Coke. It's cool and refreshing. Cold (and sugar) wakes you up not hot. I don't want black soup as a beverage. I can do it with a Grappa or some Cognac at the end of a meal, but, that's it. You people act like it is Cocaine. The food selection was likewise uninspired. It looks ok. A little "chainey" not in a Dick type of way. They have a deck on the ceiling (was tented b/c of rain that night). I assume that chicks (especially those who can't differentiate real sophistication from manufactured) will dig this place and guys (who don't own a Vespa or skinny jeans) will prefer their next door neighbor.

Brass Tap - Introducing "the neighbor". I wanted to hate this place. I clenched my fist in anger over another "craft" bar. The band wagon has left the station! Yet, they may have it down perfectly (or acceptably). Take all the strong points of their competition and they may have the most check marks in the most boxes out of all of these places. The beer selection was pretty large and diverse. Wine was less impressive, but, not a toss out. Prices were good to cheap. The food looked ok and had one or two unique items. They actually listed their prices. The place was a good size and the acoustics were alright. No beatnik acoustic guitar dweeb to have to do a Bluto (Animal House reference) on. Staff was knowledgeable. Crowd was washed and sociable. The have sports on the TV's. I can't remember where they started, but, this is the only Florida (maybe CF) location. They have twenty or so locations. Parking is a bitch.

No comments: