Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Mynt, Winter Park

I had lunch at this new Indian restaurant in Hannibal Square a little over a week ago. It's a sister restaurant to Saffron on Sand Lake. I was pleased. I had a Bhuna Shrimp lunch special for $13. Other lunch specials were cheaper (by $2-3). It all came together in little stacked, polished steel serving bowls. Bowl one was a healthy lentil soup (not gooey or over-salted). Bowl two was a potato and pea samosa, Not greasy. Bowl three was basmati rice. A little dry. Bowl four was the shrimp in a tomato/ginger sauce. The shrimp (3) were big and firm. "Nice restaurant" shrimp. The sauce was robust. When you added in the fresh (nice) Naam and the Papadam, it was an excess of food. And good rice pudding for dessert. The menu is a cut above most Indian places (in quality and design). I'm sure if you asked them they would say they are trying to refine the rustic Indian experience. Surprisingly, the prices are still within reach or parallel with some of their less innovative rivals. The lunch menu offers a decent selection of items available at $10 to low teens. And the dinner menu peaks at $30 for a lamb shank and $28 for a whole sea bass or $24 for King Prawns. The low mark is $18 for kebabs and some chicken dishes. I didn't include vegetarian dishes in the discussion. The chicken dishes may be high, but, the lamb is the same price. Apps are $5-$10. I usually go for lunch in any case because I find Indian a little over priced. All you can eat lunch buffets have spoiled me. The place is tiny. It seats about twenty. It is located in what was a French restaurant and then some farm to table place (across from Dexter's). It's decorated with a neo-lavish minimalist elan. Service was good. I went late and it was raining, so, it wasn't very crowded. They have been open for two months. I didn't love the three dollar sodas.

No comments: