Sunday, March 22, 2015

Pub Crawl - I Drive: Tin Roof, McFadden's, Cafe 34 Istanbul, Drip, King's and Toby Keith's I Love This Bar (Closed)

I went to these bars last night.

Tin Roof - I went just for a pre-dinner beer and stayed for some apps. It's below the new ferris wheel. They have been open for two months. It's a chain from Nashville. They tout live music. After I got swindled into a $7 beer, I forgave them (because of the menu) and tried calamari and pork rinds for $9 and spiced bacon popcorn for $3.50. The calamari was soggy. The breading fell off. The pork rinds were very good. They outnumbered the squid three to one. The whole serving was small (in a little pail). The popcorn (black kernels) was very good. The bacon in it was meaty and crisp. It came in the same little pail. The place has a huge American Flag painted on wood planks in back of the stage. It has a ramshackle appearance. Not much of a crowd at eight. There is a four or five level, free, covered garage for the places here. The menu had alot of unique plays on traditional dishes. Not your typical paint by the numbers menu for a chain.

McFadden's - A large Irish bar that just opened seven days ago. It's behind Tin Roof in the strip Mall that has Sleuth's. Nice staff. I just had a $5 PBR. Empty. Vanilla Ice is coming on Aprill 11 I think. Another free parking lot in this strip mall.

Cafe 34 Istanbul - I decided to ditch my original dinner idea and have a Chicken Donner Gyro here. The chicken was dry and tasteless. The pita was from a bag. It cost $9. The fries were good and saved the meal. It's hard to compliment this cuisine in general because it's just (over priced) bad meatballs or chunks of flesh served with dips of gross vegetables (not a powerhouse location for produce), but, this basic dish underwhelmed. There was only one guy doing all the work. Most people seemed to be there for the Hookah terrace. They are next to Hanamizuki. I think they said they opened in January. Open until 3am.

Drip - This is a bar that has a nightly performance art spectacle that showers the audience in dye. Dancing is also involved. Good thing I didn't go here first as planned and missed the spray. It's literally in the back of the Denny's near Howl at the Moon. I had a $5 beer (ok selection) and would have stayed to chat with the leftovers from the show, but, the lot I parked in made it seem like a towing was eminent. I think they said this has been going on for two years.

King's - I went back to the Cafe 34 strip mall to look into this bowling alley/bar. It's really nice. However, I'm sure that the owners feel like Louis Roederer or Tommy Hilfiger if you get my drift. Who knew black people have to bowl?  I had a $6 beer. I think this is fairly new.

Toby Keith's I Love This Bar and Grill - This is on the other end of I drive in the Artegon Marketplace. someone invested serious coin in this behemoth. It was empty at midnight. It looks great. They had a seemingly professional band playing for about twenty people. They didn't put prices on their menu. The drink were weird concoctions of moonshine and fire ball whiskey. There is a huge guitar ceiling. Lots of wood and aluminum siding. A young Mama June and a bartender with a short wig and cellulite sticking out of her Lee booty shorts were there. This could be an epic failure if the crowd is always like that.





No comments: