Sunday, June 14, 2015

Grub Crawl - Sanford: Pacino's and PDQ

I went to these places on Rinehart Rd on Thursday at lunch.

Pacino's - I had the two slice special (topping and a soda) for $6. I wasn't even sure they served slices, so, I came in just to see. They were ok. At least they weren't cooked on a conveyor belt. Spicy sauce. Too much poor quality cheese that turned to Oxy Seal. Crust was average. Toppings (sausage and pep seemed like they came from a ten pound bag). They do pizzas in sizes from 10" on up. The usual pricing. They have more than pizza. I would guess everything they serve is about average. They have been open for a yearish. I thought the spot was vacant before they moved in, so, I don't know why the tables and chairs were worn. Service was polite. Hoo Ha.

PDQ - A chain based in Tampa that started in NC. Opened last Sunday. A Zaxby/Raising Canes sort of chicken strip place. 40 stores. This is the only in CF. Some connection with Outback management. Turned out to be quite good. The place was packed. It's an order at the counter type place with tables. I had the staple three piece, crispy meal (ff and soda) for $7. The tenderloins were large. Double the size of a place say like Arby's. And that's counting those places' 50% batter composition). The coating was tasty. It was crisp. The dipping sauce had actual chunks of bleu cheese and didn't taste like chemical ooze. The fries were a little undercooked. I think this was just because they were so busy. They gave me a ton of them. The staff seemed like they were motivated to keep up with the rush. They were actually putting in an effort. The place is shiny as a new penny. It seats about ninety. They have a drive through. All sorts were eating there. They have a limited menu of sandwiches (chicken/turkey), strips and salads. Also desserts. An Arby's strip meal is $4. Even if you use a two for one coupon to get a similar portion of chicken, it is $5 with a soda. I'd rather have this combo at $7 with the fries and I eat those Arby's strips every week. And Arby's is the best value on strips. This is a great fast casual place that has a small enough menu that quality should be consistent. This is fast food you can afford and trick yourself into thinking you ate out at a real restaurant. Plus there are no waitresses to tip and prices don't jump at dinner time. As Jim Carrey said in Dumb and Dumber - "I like it alot".

No comments: