Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Mrs. Potato, Universal Area

I grabbed some snack from this Brazilian potato-centric restaurant in the strip mall that houses Bloodhound Brew (Kirkman and Conroy). It's way in the back corner. She does baked potatoes, rosti, burgers, hot dogs, snacks and alot of Brazilian entrees. They have five TV's above the counter and one had a loop of her on Fox 35 with that fake Ryan Seacrest guy. The potatoes looked like ostrich eggs. You can top them with a multitude of things (all under $10). Same with the rosti (A huge hash brown). Lots of the toppings are Brazilian. The burgers are on a potato roll. Around $5. They entrees are in the teens. I had a chicken catupiry (Brazilian cream cheese) empanada for around $2. Very good. Cooked to order. Not greasy. I would mix the chicken and cc so you don't get separate bites of each. Brazilian cream cheese tastes alot like Whipped Cream Cheese. I also had a shrimp pot pie that was the loser. Ridiculously salty. The filling may have had shrimp in it. It was a curry like mess with a slice of pimentoed green olive. The pastry was very mealy and dry. It was like eating a fist full of crackers without water. A shame because it looked cute. The last thing I tried was a chicken and corn risoli (crescent shaped croquette). Does this mean Risoli and Iles mean Crescent Shape and Iles? It was good. The same shredded chicken as the empanada. The inside dough was a little under done. I liked the place. They have a small main room and an adjacent enclosed patio (no view). It looks like some kind of breakfast or cupcake place from the outside.  It seemed to be doing brisk business. Locals and tourists. The value is there. When I go back, I am trying a chicken stroganoff potato or maybe one with the Brazilian sausage. The snacks I mentioned were just a small sample and they do those with many different fillings. They are all around $2. They have been in this location for six months. It may have been called Netto's before this because that is what printed out on my receipt. They had been open near the ice cream place shaped like a cone on I Drive last year. I'm glad I went out of my way to knock it off the list.

No comments: