Sunday, August 23, 2015

Oshio, I Drive

I had lunch at this Korean/Japanese spot next to the sky diving simulator around Universal Blvd on Wednesday. It replaces a Chinese place. I had salmon sushi for $4.50 and I tried a rice pasta soup for $13. The salmon was ice cold. I don't think they expected someone to order it. The soup was a "specialty". I guess the specialty is that they forget to include the beef that comes with it and justifies the price. I'm still not sure what the deal is (language issues). The regular menu said beef. The take out menu does not. The take out menu says it comes with carrots and hot paste sauce. It didn't. I had eaten alot of beef during the week so I didn't complain. I was just knocking this place off the list. In any event, it was like a $13 egg drop soup with tons of pasty slivers of rice pasta in it. The best part of the meal was some mediocre bon chon (four dishes). Although, they can't even make kimchi well (not aged at all). The place is old. They did nothing to it. They still have Chinese statues out front. The table bbq is electric (not charcoal). Prices are slightly higher than most Korean places. It seats about eighty. There were five other there at lunch. The one and probably only thing it has going for it is that I can't think of another Korean play near by (outside of that one on Dr Phillips). They f that up too by giving it a Japanese name. I think it's a derivation of the word oshii which means "delicious". Oshio must mean - "palatable". They have a cheaper lunch menu, but, you have to ask for it. I'm ambivalent about this place.

No comments: