Friday, July 1, 2016

CJ's Italian Kitchen, Longwood

I got a slice and a chicken parm sandwich to go at this Italian restaurant near Grafitti Junction on Wekiva Springs Rd last Thursday. I was going to eat there, but, it was empty and dark and the Ac was barely working. The slice ($3) was ok. It was a short and fat. The sauce was spicy. The cheese was odd. Probably a blend. The parm ($8) was under cooked and the chicken was not pounded at all. You could feel the fibers of the meat in your mouth. More of an American chicken sandwich type cut. The breading fell off easily. It seemed like it was hastily thrown together by a guy playing all the instruments. I'm 99.9% sure the owner was that one man band. He disappeared with my order and came back with the finished meal. The cheese and bread were good. It came with some decent fries. The owner said he used to run Juliana's (his wife's name I guess) in College Park. I'll have to look, but, I think I found them mediocre too. His last name sound more Romanian than Italian. If that matters to you. Or explains the non-traditional elements of the food. The menu is a greatest hits menu at fair prices. I'm surprised this type of banal effort isn't really popular around here. I take it it isn't by how quickly the owner tried to convince me it isn't always empty. The decor is very black. It needs a wash. It actually seems more like a bar. Now you know. They have been open for one year.

No comments: