Saturday, September 24, 2016

King Bao, Mills Ave

I had lunch at this bao specialty spot on Mills (near the intersection with 50) yesterday. I have been meaning to go for a while (open five months), but, parking and traffic always suck around there. Luckily my car needed an oil change and my "guy" is located near enough to down there to make a slog internally debatable. Now, I guess it is a good thing when your major criticisms of a joint are the font (and logo) they selected and the art on the walls. Congestion was another issue, but, that was caused by a roly poly's lack of consideration (ordering for HER whole office or cat support group and paying for each order with a different credit card). The place serves bao (steamed rice flour buns/rolls) and tots. I had the pork belly and short rib because they were going for $7 as a package with a soda. Normally $3.50 each. They also don't allow you to choose any "seafood" options and the only other "land" option was a fried chicken one. Plus, I just had PDQ's 4 Rivers charity chicken sandwich the day before. It isn't that great btw. Why is their sauce so bad? Back to bao. The pork belly was very smoky and meaty. Just a little fat. Mostly meat. Nice hunk. That should please people who will never be hoodwinked into believing that all fat all the time is always preferable. Fittingly, it didn't have alot of flavor. The peanuts, cilantro and pickled daikon and carrots added other elements that I usually could live without in a meatwich. Especially the peanuts. But, they are traditional. The short rib portion was also generous. Same flavor issue. It was shredded short rib meat.  It came with Asian pear salad and cilantro. I never would have registered the pear if I wasn't told. I had wanted to skewer the place because most hipster bao places make dense, overly sweet buns. I just had some "real ones" in Singapore and in Chinatown in Kuala Lampur (that were ethereal) and I was ready to play that card. Sadly, I can not. They do a pretty good job. All the regular baos (tofu, shrimp, crab cake, grouper, sweet potato) are under $4. They had some special baos (ie lobster roll) that peaked at $6. They have dessert baos. One is ice cream and they could expand this category. In Singapore, alot of ice cream carts made their own ice cream sandwiches with ice cream and bread or crackers. They could easily do the same if they have the freezer space. It is known to be hot around here every once in a while. The place seats twenty. Two tables and a wall counter. It was full. Mostly young people. I'll be back.

No comments: