Thursday, September 22, 2016

The Taste of the Yucatan, Orlando - Closed

I popped into this Mexican restaurant two Tuesdays ago before noon on my way to the airport. It is on 436 just north (towards 50) of Curry Ford Rd. They were "beta" testing. Or was it "beta tasting"? I had a barbacoa salbut (in between a sopes and a tortilla) for $4 and a cochinita pibil soft taco for $3. I would have tried more, but, it was "unverified" and I had a fifteen hour flight sandwiched between a three and six hour flight. Not the time to be "dissatisfied" with a meal. The barbacoa meat was the better meat. The pork was too salty and dry. I'm so jet lagged that I can't even remember what they were topped with. I think they barbacoa had pickled onions and cheese. I think the pork was marinated in orange juice. The salbut (if that is what the fried cake was) was uneventful. Try one and then go back to the cheaper and healthier tortilla. In any event, they weren't loaded up with extras nor were they loaded up the same. I guess that says a little about the ethos. They take enough care to prepare different flavor profiles. The menu is different. You choose a base/container (they actually put the price for each on the menu and they differ) then you choose a meat (same pricing policy) then you choose any extras. The options are limited. I think they had four meats and one veggie option and four "bases". They had a two for one taco deal that day. Look for others. They serve beer and make their own sauces in small batches. It seats about forty. Not sure if the drive thru window is operational. Ownership was polite. He comes from the area. He spoke English (well). Seemed educated. The place looks clean and new. We aren't drowning in opportunities to sample Mexican food from the Yucatan. Especially ones with a Mayan pedigree. Give it a try. It's not a life changer, but, it doesn't have to be at these price points. Hopefully, they will fine tune the issues with the food and I can really get excited about this place. I think the hours I was told were 9am-6pm. 7pm on weekends. Google says 12-8pm. Here's their phone number if you want to check which is accurate - 407-704-2248Now out of beta testing. I think last Friday was the launch.

No comments: