Monday, July 10, 2017

Grub Crawl - Sand Lake Rd Area: Kokino (Closed) and Gyu-Kaku

I tried these places on Turkey Lake Rd (right off Sand Lake) on Friday night. This was going to be a well deserved crucifixion of two pains in my ass after multiple missed connections, but, I ended up liking the first and loving the second.

Kokino - I must have tried to eat here five times. They changed the times. They stopped lunch. The buffet was ridiculously priced. I just had a beer here (out of spite), but, the vibe was good. Hot PYT's (staff too) with a boozy disposition. The menu (tapas) was a little small and ordinary. Not many there for dinner. Nice, modern decor. Maybe they should expand the bar area. It is in that strip mall with the gym (World or Gold's) and Graffiti Junction.

Gyu-Kaku - I tried them at their announced opening last summer and they kept having construction delays. Then it was that they weren't doing lunch yet (though advertised). Then a private party. Then a huge wait. It never came together. Then I went to San Mateo and saw they were a CHAIN! It was over and done with. But, my list is dwindling and I needed to excoriate Kokino, so, they got the call again. Golden bullet with their name on it ready to go. And then another wait for a seat. It was almost go (to go order) time. But, I found my chi and they really did find me a table fast and it was a lesson in Zen from there. The place is a chain from Japan, but, it is unimportant. No one else really offers this kind of robata (grilling) experience. Some do it. For you. Some boil. Some (Koreans) have a similar type of self-cooking experience. But, I seem to recall they all use an electric heat source. Now hot coals are supposedly the best, but, I think I've only done that in Koreatown in NYC. They use gas under a metal disc with holes at Gyu. I had toro beef, toro pork, chicken breast and pork belly. The toro are thin cuts from the stomach area. The beef was great and cheap ($5 from around ten slices). The two pork items ($6 and $5) were ok. I preferred the chicken ($4). All orders had around ten slices. Very fresh. Very fun to cook. They had tons of options: veggies, tongue, intestines, all cuts of beef, waygu, shrimp, duck, etc. Lots of apps from fried sushi rolls to dumplings. Also some rice dishes and soups. Not everything is Japanese. They also drop the prices after 9pm (and at happy hour) automatically. On booze too! My pork belly dropped to $4 and a Sapporo dropped to $3. They also have a decent selection of mostly affordable sake. Service was very polite. My white server even tried to act/speak Japanese. It was full even at 9pm. People of all types. Lots of good humor. I wish they had a few more of these around town. Will be on Favorite's list. It is across from the Kokino strip mall before the gas station on Sand Lake.

No comments: