Monday, August 7, 2017

Pub Crawl - Sanford: The Stranded Sailor (Closed), Bitters & Brass (Closed) and Sanford Brewing

I tried the first two and re-tried the last on Saturday night. They are on Sanford Ave in downtown. Seems like all the action is around here now. And there actually was some action.

The Stranded Sailor - This is across from Wops Hops. I think they said the have been open for 4 weeks or months. It's an English themed bar. Kinda. Not a cheesy reproduction, but, the beer is mostly from the UK and they have dart boards. I had a $10 beer from New Zealand. They have cheaper options. It was fine. They had a punk/metal (ballsy) band playing later on that night.

Bitters & Brass - This is also new. I ended up spending the most time here because I got into some conversations. I had two tequila based cocktails at $9 a piece. They were good. Showy. This cocktail craze isn't the best thing I've ever lived through, but, these guys weren't that self-impressed and actually were able to get the drinks out at a decent pace. The space is lovely. It's in that old "speakeasy" building that is part of the larger structure that had the soul food and breakfast spots (in between Sailor and Sanford). It has a look and feel that can't be matched. They definitely had the best looking girls too. I think the restaurant next door was also back in business. Looked like a chicken place with a Latin vibe.

Sanford Brewing - I had a terrible lager and "dinner" (disappointing cheese fries) here. The lager was very yeasty and kept me from ordering another beer or more food. I can't remember if I hated the beer the last time. If so, then this will be "the last time". The fries sounded good last time I was here. Bacon dust and other things were promised. They either forgot the bacon dust or it was indiscernible, because - well because I'm complaining about it. The wedge shaped fries were also under cooked and the cheese sauce had me longing for game day nacho cheese. And then they slopped a ton of jalapenos and onions on top of it. Of course a place with these issues (a totally overwhelmed kitchen) was packed with middle aged Sanfordinians. Adding to the horror was the "old man" band that I think I complained about Buster's employing last trip here.

*I'll try the chicken place and a marshmellow place (across from Hollerbach's) for you shortly. Just couldn't eat marshmellows and beer and I was distracted until after having a dinner would have been sensible.

No comments: