Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Grub Crawl - Winter Park: Wonton, Tea and Tea and Mon Petit Cheri

I was going to go to OBT for some Mexican and Chinese because I hadn't had any in two weeks, but, I decided to knock these out while checking if a new spot on Park Ave was open yet. It isn't. The first place is at the intersection of 17-92 and Fairbanks. The second is behind the 7-11 on Fairbanks and Park. The third is at the first light on Park. I went to these places for lunch on Monday.

Wonton Asian Kitchen - I thought this would be a Pei Wei knockoff, but, it is a one off. They serve a medley of Asian dishes. Korean. Vietnamese. Japanese. Thai. Chinese. I just ordered two small dishes because this wasn't my final lunch destination. I had two pork dumplings for $2 and a Chickity something or other Summer Roll for $2.50. I was going to try chicken lettuce wraps, but, they were out of them. I like that they have small portion sizes. Usually you have to order 5 to 9 dumplings and a pair of rolls. The way they are set up, you can try a bunch of things. The dumplings were ok. They had a thin skin. They were steamed. One was split open. The roll was mostly vegetables. The chicken was barely discernible. These items were starters. They have more of these and soup. They also have about a dozen entrees. even bahn mi. The design is a step above a fast casual place. The floor plan is open. They have brick walls. The kitchen is exposed. They opened three weeks ago. I would try them again.

Tea and Tea - I grabbed a Waikiki cold tea for $4. It tasted like Sunny D. Had slices of orange, lemon and apple. Is apple a Hawaiian delicacy? They also serve milk tea and one other kind (can you tell this isn't my bag?). You can add boba to the teas. They used to be in the Winter Park Village. They have been here for one month. Was B Cupcakes.

Mon Petit Cheri - I've been to this location before. I hope I reviewed that place and not this. I forgot to check. They are mainly a French inspired breakfast and lunch spot. Nothing too fancy. Crepes. Burgers. Sandwiches. Pizza. Salads. Quiche. Breakfasts. Pastries. Hot Drinks. I had the poached eggs and bacon on an English muffin. The eggs were over cooked. The bacon was crisp. The muffin (sour dough) was under toasted. Not a strong showing for how long it took to get out. It cost $8.50. It came with a side of fresh fruit. I'll trade you the fruit for $3 of 4 back in my wallet. The place was dependent on natural light and as such was gloomy. Can't imagine it on a cloudy day. They have a few seats out front and a patio in back. There is an indoor area in between. A few small tables, the register and a bar. Decoration is an afterthought. They are open from 7ish to 4pm every day. They stay open for a dinner on Friday. They have been there for three years. A fine place if you want a little French comfort food. The chef/owner apparently has won some recent contest for best dessert.

*I wanted Mexican or Chinese because I was in New Zealand for the last two weeks and didn't trust them on Mexican and just didn't order much Chinese. I ate alot of sushi, salmon and meat pies. Some new experiences and popular items were: mussel pattie/fritter, marmite, gunard, elephant fish, toasted sandwiches, smoked mussels, oysters, fish cake, venison salami and an ice cream sandwich of macaroons. I never tried fresh crayfish (lobster) or the blue cod they were raving about. I also tried my first Sri Lankan dish (I think). It was called Kottu Rottich. I also had something called Tulsi Murtabak. It wasn't my first try, but, I had Hokkien Mee (Malay/Singapore Chinese dish named after a province). Little sushi places were everywhere. You moved down a line and paid by the piece. They also had almost every fast food franchise (including Pita Pit). I had a meat pie at McDonald's. Mostly gravy.

No comments: