Monday, December 18, 2017

Willie's Pinchos, East Colonial

I tried this Puerto Rican spot on Golden Rod near 50 on Sunday night. It was the Fieri "book end" to my trip out of town in that they were featured on an episode of Triple D that aired last year at this time. I haven't seen it as yet and didn't know that when I went here. I saw them when I tried that Mexican place a few months back. It was always closed when I have tried them since that visit. I had a pernil sandwich for $9. It was pulled pork and mayo an lettuce and tomato. It was ok. The pork was too salty. The portion was a bit skimpy. I think they wet down the meat with the saved marinade and pork drippings. I think that is kind of a cheat. The meat should retain that juice with constant basting. It shouldn't be "refreshed" before serving. Plus, I don't need it that soggy. The meat also had a bone in it. How non-observant do you have to be to miss a big round bone while portioning out an inch of pork? I, also, don't love sweet mayo with the sweet/savory pork. It's too "one note". It needs something spicy or vibrant or both. The bun/roll was excellent. I think most of the pernils I've had were pressed. This wasn't. It came with crinkle cut fries. They were very crisp. The rest of menu is breakfast items, burgers, mofungo, skewers, hot dogs, sandwiches and sandwiches on fried tostones that I believe were called Jibertos. The sandwiches were near the top in price. They are open until 7pm most days (not Monday for now). The place seats only twenty or so. It looks like a tiny cantina. They used to be a food truck. I think they said they have been in this spot for a year. They are opening a new place in Kissimmee soon. I would go back to try something else. They were very nice and seemed to care about the quality of their food.

No comments: