Thursday, December 21, 2017

Grub Crawl - UCF Area: Lucky's Market (Closed), Halal Guys and 5 F(X)

I tried these spots on N. Alafaya Trail as part two of my lunch/dinner to go date on Monday. Part of the reason I ate so meekly in Winter Park. The first is in a strip mall at the south west intersection of 50 and Alafaya Trail. The second is farther down Alafaya towards Waterford Lakes. The third is next to the second.

Lucky's Market - This is a Whole Foods-esque type supermarket out of Boulder. I found the selection (though pup-ified) to be decent. Alot of "off/artisan" brands. A bigger wine and beer selection than World Market. Prices were cheaper than Publix on the few items I cared about looking into (papaya, rotisserie chicken and sushi). A weightier papaya was sold there at $4. Flat price. No by the pound. I spent $6 for a 2.5 lber (theirs were over 3lbs by eye) yesterday at Publix. A rotisserie chicken was $5. I'm pretty sure it's $2 more at Publix or even Winn Dixie. Sushi seemed a buck or so lower per container. I went there for a looky loo and for the $5 pizza deal (two slices and a beer). Italian was another thing I hadn't had in a while. The pizza (even slices with toppings) should have been better. They have a real pizza oven. I guess you can only rise so high if the dough and cheese are cheap. Plus the cheese ratio was too high. Tasted like a grilled cheese. You might like that. It was acceptable though. I grabbed a pepperoni and plain slice. They also let me sub out the beer for root beer. They opened around June. I think one more is on the way.

Halal Guys - They are a food cart in NYC. I couldn't make out from the blown up photos on the wall if I have ever had the pleasure. A quick perusal of my food journal (yes I keep one for trips) and my travel guide (yes I keep a photo journal on my phone) yielded no evidence that I had. Perhaps I tried them when I lived there. There are alot of carts doing what they do. I just searched them for you and they are at 53rd and Sixth. I just might have. Anyway. This is their first brick and mortar in CF. I think they might be a franchiser if you can believe it. They offer just a few things. Sandwiches. Platters. Sides. Desserts. Beef or chicken (or a mix) or falafel. Hummus and baba ghanouj as sides. And baklava as dessert. That's it. I had a "mixed" gyro for $7 and an order of two falafel for $2. The sandwich was served on a thick pita. The beef was "loafy" and bland. The chicken had more texture and flavor. Both we pre-shaved. A no no in my book. The falafel was ok. It was also not fried in front of me. I kind of expected more from all the hoopla I had heard about them. They offer a white a red (very hot) sauce. I chose both and onions. It comes with lettuce and tomato and anything (ie jalapenos, olives, hummus) else is extra. I think I like the gyro place (was it Oh My Gyro?) in Longwood better. Seemed tastier. Fresher. But, they aren't bad. Prices are good. I'm not sure if it is destination. The place looks like subway sandwich shop. Meaning it is clean with little character. Service was fast. It opened in September.

5 F(X) Ice Cream - This was a chance encounter, but, I think I liked this place the best. Part of the reason I don't use "dating" apps. No surprises. Or at least ones that are pleasant. They make their own ice cream and taiyaki. Not pour candy into ice cream and blend it. They MAKE milk and soy based ice cream in front of you while you wait. And they make a pancake like dessert for you as well. It can be stuffed. It can be sweet or savory. I didn't comprehend the extent of the ice cream service until I was on the way out. I ordered a taiyaki stuffed with apples and cinnamon for $2 just to order something. I know Tai means red snapper in Japanese and Yaki usually means something fried (like Takoyaki - fried octopus balls). I believe this food category is called this because they mold the batter into the shape of a cartoonish fish. Probably a red snapper. The woman behind the counter wasn't Japanese and didn't know. The taiyaki was good. Fresh. Duh. I was just expecting a batter with apple and cinnamon flavor. It had real filling. If it took less time, McDonald's could/should emulate them. They also had other combos. Even one with a hot dog. I also think they had other items. Maybe milkshakes and a few other things. The place looks a little messy in the "cooking" area. The walls are filled with Polaroid shots of customers and not much else. The curb appeal could be improved. They have been open for three years. A nice break from the norm.

No comments: