Monday, December 18, 2017

Grub Crawl - Disney Springs: Planet Hollywood, The Ganachery and Ghiradelli Chocolate

I ventured back to the Mouse Trap before heading to the airport around two weeks ago. I tried these spots at Disney Springs. Who knew that Guy Fieri would end up book ending my trip. But, more on that in the next post.

Planet Hollywood - I knew this would be an expensive waste of time and I was mostly right. I had a Plain Jane Cheeseburger for $18. And a coke was a mere $4. The cheeseburger was non-descript. I can barely remember it two weeks later. I bet the one at the burger restaurant a few yards away is better at half the price. And that is no bargain to start with. It came with a cone of mixed fries. Waffle. And I really can't remember the others. Maybe shoe string and curly? I think they had an offensive seasoning on them. The rest of the menu is so humdrum (and equally over-priced) that I think a room service waiter would be embarrassed to serve it. So, a perfect fit with Disney. The one "interesting" item was a fried lasagna something or other. I'm sure it is another Fieri fail (he supervised the re-do) though. Maybe Kat Cora can come in and try and make it healthy like she did at Taco Bell. Bring on all the celebrity douche bag sell outs. The service was lacking. The waitress was polite enough, but, the burger took a half hour to appear. I think the kitchen lost the order. Plus the hostess tried to seat me directly across the swinging door to the kitchen (with other low volume tables open). Nearly half of the area I was sitting in has a view of this eye sore. Nice design planning. And the door is really noticeable. One of those "old timey" doors you see on a ship or the interior of a hotel kitchen. Just terrible. Now, it has been like a decade since I was last in the old place, but, I think it used to be much bigger. Now it feels minuscule. I think they went in and up. The place has three of four levels. I think the old design was all open space. Only the bottom floor was open. It has "my area" at the entrance and a bar to the left and another seating area a step below. They still have the memorabilia (mostly costumes). They play music videos from movies (mostly-to all Disney owned). They have an outside bar called Stargazers (or maybe catchers) that rims the wall. I'm not sure if I understood that the old design was supposed to be an observatory or if they just re-imagined it as that now. That works. I guess it makes more sense than a steel globe. I'm not sure what it has to do with "the movies" (maybe it's supposed to be the Griffth Observatory (which it doesn't look like at all). I had a view of the gift shop (of course). Hard pass from me. I'll wait for the all you can eat free Fieri burger bar on my next cruise. They finally opened in June. I think.

The Ganachery - I'm not sure it deserves the "the", but, it was fine. They make chocolates on site. I had a coconut lollipop for a mere $6. It was described as having fresh coconut under the chocolate, but, it was mostly coconut flavor. You can by chocolates by the piece or by the box. Nice presentation (packaging). I'd save the cost and drop the price. But, I don't understand those who shop for their self-worth. They know their market.

Ghiradelli Chocolate - This place was further away from the newly renovated area. They make it look like an old fashioned ice cream parlor. I had a chocolate cone for $5. A big scoop of ordinary ice cream. It could have been any brand. Another time I've had Ghiradelli chocolate and wondered how they became famous for it. The are like Whitman's Sampler. Another mystery. Why haven't they been called out? You would think that the food snob mafia would have taken a baseball bat to this representative of middle class taste. They also have other desserts. You order at a register and pick it up at the counter. It has been there forever.

No comments: