Thursday, November 30, 2017

Gianni's, Mount Dora

I had dinner at this Italian restaurant today. It is on N. Alexander (one street closer to the lake). It was fine. The menu seemed ambitious yet accessible. I would give it higher marks if my meal was fine tuned. I had chicken prosciutto spinachi with a side of spaghetti for $18. The chicken and spaghetti were prepared properly. The sauce was a mess. It was a cream sauce. I think they used half and half or maybe just milk. The wine they used was stale and wasn't cooked off. I even think they used margarine. There were more than one "off" flavor. And there was way too much of it. A puddle of calories. Ham handed execution. The prosciutto was thick. For the record. The menu had some interesting things like a pear and cheese pasta (statra-something) and a half duck. The special was pumpkin ravioli. The items I saw delivered to other tables seemed fresh. Prices were between the mid teens and mid-twenties. They served some bread that was cut into triangles and pre-soaked in olive oil. That was a first. Should be copied. The place has a patio and two floors. The place has some charm (exposed beams), but it isn't all it could be. The wall art is a bit scatter shot. The trim looks like it was never touched up. The furniture is a bit old. On the plus side, there is a lot of room between tables. Service was good. Prompt. Knowledgeable. Polite. I'd give them a second chance. They have been there for four years. It is next to the German restaurant.

*They have the Christmas lights up in downtown Mount Dora. It's a charming scene.

**This will be the last post for a little while. I'm sure we are all relieved. The most popular seemed to be the one at Disney. It makes me laugh to think that it is because tourists are clicking on it. I imagine little Johnie asking his parents what "premature ejaculating" on "my tuna's tits" means.

No comments: