Friday, November 24, 2017

Grub Crawl - Disney Springs: The Polite Pig and Paddlefish

I grabbed a sandwich to go at the first one during lunch and grabbed a quick dinner later on at the second on Thursday.

The Polite Pig - I had a smoked chicken salad sandwich for free because their register broke down. They demanded I take it on the the house. How can you refuse (or ignore) such hospitality. I think it would have cost me $12. It was pretty good. The chicken was in slices (not cubes). It was mixed with grapes. The problem with it was mostly bun related. I don't like the way many brioche buns fall apart.They also throw in a pickle quarter. The place is modern. They have a patio. I thought it would be a bit bigger and not a serve yourself endeavour. I'm happier that it is the way it is (less fuss). It is located right to the right of the escalator at the lime parking structure. They open at 11am. They also have pork and brisket and a fried and smoked chicken sandwich. They also do platters and sides. It's from the Ravenous Pig people (Petrakis). It;s their version of 4 Rivers.

Paddlefish - I don't see why they felt the need. It's almost exactly like The Boathouse. The redo seemed half ass. Some areas (especially the top deck) seemed badly renovated. Maybe it is already worn after one summer. And the layout is weird. They wanted to exploit the "views", but, their architectural design makes the whole middle off limits. This separates all the other areas into separate rooms. No flow. I'm sure they'll say they meant to, but, I think it is a mistake. It feels claustrophobic/cramped. And all the money they spent (where they spent it) still only succeeds in making you think you are on a cruise ship. I would it have left it as it was. If it had rot or termites then repair and replace and leave it looking like a working Mississippi river boat. Don't try and recreate it as a pre-war luxury liner. The place has three levels. The top is a bar/open area. I sat at the front bar on the first level because that is what you see when you enter. There is no indication that there are other bars or other levels. I had two appetizers because I wasn't hungry and everything else is about twice as expensive as it should be. $40 to $60 is what they want you to spend per person per entree. I had the charred octopus for $15 and the ahi poke for $16. The octopus was pretty good (two arms) atop cannelloni beans and a few slices of chorizo. It would have been better if it came out of the kitchen less meteorically. That means that they pre-cooked everything and just plated it. I prefer my food made to order at this price point. The poke was terrible. I imagine some manic idiot with two squeeze bottles (one with soy sauce and one with yuzu) prematurely ejaculated a a mouthful of their contents into my tuna's tits. And then he topped this pearl necklace with some sea salt. Weak. To recap - I love the thought of dining on a river boat. I liked the old Fulton's Landing (or whatever it was called). I would have preferred they had left it as it was if this was their plan. It duplicated a niche. It's not a value. It's comically filled with riff raff (in an quasi-elegant environment). There doesn't appear to be any concern over the quality of the food. And (unsurprisingly) the food (at least some) is not cooked to order. Almost any of the other restaurants in Disney Springs is a better option. Maybe go for a drink on the upper deck if they don't try and rip you off there as well. Unlikely.

No comments: