Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Grub Crawl - John Young Pkwy And Sand Lake Rd Area: House of Pho and Latin Square

I grabbed a meal to go at these two places in the strip mall at the intersection of Sand Lake and John Young on Monday.

House of Pho - I wanted to compare and contrast them with the pho I had on Sunday. In their favor, it didn't lead to repeated trips to the toilet. Now, for a HOUSE of Pho, it is really just a pan-Asian restaurant. Their entree section is largely Chinese and the only other Vietnamese stuff is rice and noodle dishes. I tried the fried pork spring rolls for $5 (all apps are $5) and a brisket, flank and tendon pho (small) for $9. The rolls (3) were spongy. Too much pork. More like an egg roll. The pork had little flavor. The pho was fine. A little less meat than the other place. I did get a recognizable tendon though. The meat was good. They use a thin rice noodle. The vegetables were standard fare and fresh. It's a big room. Prices were in line. Some interesting things on the menu are: goat hot pot and shrimp and honey glazed walnuts. They have been open for a year. They close at 9pm and not a second later. I tried to get something to go a few months ago and they denied me.

Latin Square - While walking to my car, I saw them and didn't want to travel back here again for a run through. It turns out that I had been to there original location downtown already. However, the $5 quarter chicken with side (a huge serving of roasted potatoes in my case) is worth a repeat visit any time. The chicken (large bird) was good. side of chimichurri sauce. The potatoes as well. They also have a separate Venezuelan menu. The standard menu had PR, Cuban and Latin American fare. This location has been open for a year. The place is all new. It has a buffet line type ordering process. Great value. Big selection. They also do breakfast. Not sure about dinner.

*John Young in this area is under construction. Ingress and egress to the area is more complicated than ever.

No comments: