Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Grub Crawl - Mount Dora: Let's Do, Fiesta Grande and Magical Meat Boutique

I tried these three restaurants at lunch in downtown today. None of which were on the original agenda.

Let's Do - They refer to themselves as a Maine Lobster Roll restaurant. I tried one. I am always apprehensive about ordering these because they are so expensive and usually not fresh nor overflowing with lobster. I was especially so after another unsatisfactory experience yesterday in Minneapolis (never trust Triple D). However, I was yearning for some seafood/sushi and they price reasonably. I had the roll/soup/side special for $16 ($13 alone). The soup was NE clam chowder. It was probably Chunky in the can. I had a celery and skin on potato salad as the side. It could have been made in house. It was fine. The lobster roll was acceptable (a feat). The butter they used on the roll wasn't rancid. Probably butter. I would guess the meat came from an under one pound lobster. I had a piece of claw and it was tiny (but sweet). The majority of the remainder was leg meat. Now, I go to town on a lobster and pull/squeeze all the meat out of those tiny legs with my teeth. I'm not sure how many people make that effort (and know the taste of the meat). I like the meat. Some may feel cheated if their roll is comprised of them. I felt there was enough meat (and it was fresh enough) and the price point is where it should be. I think $15-16 should be the limit. And that should come with a sea/bay side view. I'd rather wait until I'm at a place that can give me that than pay through the nose for a bad imitation. This place comes as close as I have seen (not just in Florida) of offering a fresh product at a price you would see at the source. The place is not much to look at. Ten or eleven tables and a Chinese paper wall separating the grill and the dining room. They said they have been open for two years (name on window for just one month). They also serve hot dogs, eight sandwiches, milkshakes and soup. They are right on the main street (426 N Donnelly St).

Fiesta Grande - This is a Mexican (more Tex-Mex) restaurant up the hill one street on North Baker St. I had the lunch special three (taco, enchilida, burrito) for $8 (or more because the total was $8,83 and that seem like they add 10% tax if not). I had the trio to go. They were all pretty mediocre to bad. The enchilada was empty and smothered in a pasty, bland "cheese". The tacos (they gave me a second possibly because they knew the screwed up the enchilada) were comprised of a tasteless, milled ground beef with lettuce and tomatoes. The chicken burrito was all shredded chicken covered with that foul cheese. The place looks like any other mid-range Mexican chain. They had a patio. It seemed to be a hit with the locals. They had a pretty extensive and predictable plastic menu.

Magical Meat Boutique - I tried a Lady Haddock meal to go for $9. It was a filet of fried fish with chips (fries). Both were ok. This is another meal I rarely have success with. The fish was still moist (a little fishy). The batter mostly stuck to the fish. It wasn't too oily. The chips were crispish (hard at that thickness). They have a lovely story about originally being in London/Camden Town (since 1500's as a butcher shop and 1960's as a hippie enclave) and emigrating here with the lore and latest generation. They dress the place up with English props (phone booth, Beatles stuff, etc). It has a patio/deck that abuts the historic train and tracks. The menu has some interesting traditional English fare (like battered sausages) and a group of semi-expensive ($13 and up) burgers. They serve breakfast until 11am. They close at midnight on week days and 2am on weekends. The mostly English beer selection is pretty cheap ($6) compared to many places (up to $9). It's a fun place and I would suggest it. They seem to take the culinary aspect seriously. It has been on W 3rd Ave for three years.

No comments: