Sunday, November 26, 2017

Orlando Meats, Mills Ave Area

I had a medium rare cheeseburger at this meat market on Virginia Dr yesterday at lunch. It was well done. It also came with an overly salty garlic aoli and a "XO flavored bacon" that looked and tasted like pate. They serve it on a "french" bread that looked liked ciabatta. Probably one known simply as Freanch rustic square bread. You could taste anything over the aoli. I scraped it off. That helped a little. The "bacon" was a distraction. The cheese was overwhelmed. I don't see why they would add all that jazz to a burger. Who wants it? You are at a meat shop. You are there for quality meat I would suspect. Let a lesser establishment hide the meat. You should use your meals to market your meat. Let your meat swing freely.

They seemed to be to busy to press the meat into a patty and it would separate along the "ridge" lines. I often do this myself when I don't want to get my hands dirty/greasy. I just cut out a square of ground meat out of the "lump" of ground meat with my burger flipper and toss it on the grill or in the pan. I shouldn't do that (it cleaves in layers when I try and flip it) and neither should they. They compliment the burger with home made chips. They are very light and fried in beef tallow or marrow, but, they are too salty and I think they were so sharp that they cut up my throat. They add a pickle spear. It cost $12 and a soda was only $1.

It is mostly a meat shop/butcher. They have around a dozen meal options. The restaurant part has been open for two months. It looks great. Hipster appeal. They offer challenging things like pigs feet fritters and pork torchon (dish towel). The torchon a a sister of a terrine. It was/is made by wrapping the meat in a towel or cloth. It started as a foie gras preparation. I'd like to see a little better execution, but, I liked it. It's in between Matador and Santiago's Bodega. They are open every day except Monday.

No comments: