Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Grub Crawl - Longwood: Pho 4 U and Shiraz Market (Moved to 17-92 and 434)

I grabbed food to go from these places on Sunday. One of them gave me salmonella. I was betting that it was the first place (lots of possibly poorly washed raw vegetables), but, I'm feeling a recurrence of the shit storm after eating the rice from the second place today.

Pho 4 U - I ordered a pork skin bahn mi and a brisket, flank, tendon and tripe pho to go. Now, I have never had the pork skin before and either it is not very "skin-y" or they gave me the grilled pork. It was good whatever it was. The bun looked like they tried to extend its life by wetting it down and nuking it. It was crispy anyway. The pork was cut into noodle like slivers. Tasty. It cost $4.50. Makes you want to fire bomb fast food sandwich shops and their over priced slop. The pho didn't have the tendon or tripe. There was some kind of soft white thing that maybe is soft tendon. The meat was plentiful and of a good quality. It's so amazing how one cut (brisket) from the same animal can be brown and the other (flank) gray. They use a wide flat (linguine size) rice noodle. The broth was good. The vegetables were fresh. Especially the basil. I do think I am going to wash them from now on though. Just in case. It cost $9 for the medium (their smallest). They are in a building on 17-92 near 434 that probably was a fast food restaurant at one time. The place looked clean. Not very posh. There were a few normal people eating there. I think they have been open for five months. They offer the usual Vietnamese menu. It is hard to find a pho/bahn mi combo place. It's a good value.

Shiraz Market - They took over the corner building on Ronald Reagan Blvd (near the tracks on 434) that used to have a little Mexican market and kitchen. They serve up to ten dishes and have a market with interesting Middle Eastern goods. I will have to buy the honey comb, sour pistachio nuts and watermelon seeds at some point. I believe the name means they are Iranian. I tried a beef kebab with jasmine rice and a roasted tomato for $7 and a lamb gyro for $7. The beef was cooked to medium and had a mild flavor. The rice was cooked perfectly. The gyro was comprised of tzatziki, lettuce, tomato, sour pickle and thinly sliced lamb "loaf". It was also not seasoned to death. I'm not sure if they make it in house. It came in a fresh lavoush instead of a pita. The tzatziki wasn't overloaded. It was a nuanced gyro. Now, like I said, something I ate on Sunday (that had a lot of vegetables in it) desperately wanted to confabulate with my toilet (and maybe float to sea or that inter-coastal that we sent all the shit through after Irma). It certainly didn't want to spend one second more in my body than it had to. I'd hate to think it was either of these because I liked the food. I will try both again at some point. This place is more of a carry out place. They have one table with six chairs and it is cramped. They have been there for one year.

*I do have to make mention of the interminable time it seems to take for road construction in the city. we all know the ever worsening ridiculousness of the I-Sore, but, the 17-92 project (near The Senator tree) must be in year ten. Is it just graft? Sand Lake Rd near John Young is now under construction too. It took them forever to do what they did on OBT and 434. An investigation would seem proper.

No comments: