Sunday, February 18, 2018

Tamale Co, Altamonte Springs - Moved

I stopped here looking to knock out a new bacon place (Sugar Sow) one my way to my primary destination. This was at lunch on Friday. I found this. The "here" in question is that sketchy Citgo station aside the train tracks on 436. The "this" is a brick and mortar outpost of the titled food truck. I sacked up and ordered a real meal for you people. I had the mole tamales (also for you people and because it is called Tamale Co) with rice and beans for $11. They give you two tamales. I think a single was $7 or $9. You can't avoid the rice and beans. They were pretty good. A little too fluffy and white corn for me. I like a denser (lard) tamale made of yellow corn. The filling was shredded chicken. It was a bit dry. Fairly liberal portion. The sauce was pretty good. A dark mole. A bit too much burnt flavor for me. The rice (orange) was moist and fluffy. A tiny scoop. The black beans were soft and creamy. I usually want to throw the rice and beans away, but, these were not just cheap filler. The tamales were served atop the corn husk they were steamed in. They also serve breakfast items, tacos, sincronizadas, nacho style fries and a surprising list of other items. The pricing is food truck ambitious. I think a taco was $3.50. The place is closet small. No indoor seating. This place has been a host of things and they usually put a counter between you and the kitchen. These guys threw up a wall. So, the place is half as big as it ever was. They decorated it artistically. It looks cute. The food came out fast. It seemed to be a destination already. Two groups of young urban professionals (foodie types) book ended my order. They were not there by accident. They sought this place out. Which is promising because they have been there for only one month and there is precious little signage attracting you from the street. I'd guess they get updates from the food truck's social media accounts. I almost went back on Saturday. I chose to give 4 Rivers another chance. Big mistake.

*That Sugar Sow place was emptied out and had a notice from the inspectors office citing violations. I'm not sure if they ever opened (the citation was dated that day) or if they did and were immediately shut down. They were supposed to open this month. Like I said, the place looked cleaned out. I'm not sure if they came or are coming back.

No comments: