Sunday, July 1, 2018

Grub Crawl - Sanford: Mr Z's and Boba Babes

I went to these two places on 1st St on Thursday at lunch. The first is in the old Zocalo location. The second is in the old Rabbit Records location farther down the street.

Mr Z's - This is sandwich shop and pizzeria that draws its inspiration from Philadelphia.. I had a roast beef sandwich special ($10) and a slice ($2.50). Regular sandwiches are around $8. This came with fries and a drink that I didn't get now that I think of it. The roast beef was a little dry. I would guess from age rather than overcooking. They said they get it specially done. It had a little too much fat for me as well. Hard fat. Maybe it's better when fresh. The roll was suspect too. The sauce (some kind of creamy Italian) was ineffective. I had to add some blue cheese that I had in the fridge to give it adequate flavor. The pizza was better. Nothing special. The usual Northeastern model. They tout their cheese steaks. The owner has some Philadelphia roots. The interior is mostly the same. Some new decoration. They opened in December.

Boba Babes - A tea and coffee place. I had a boba flavored tea with juice pearls (they didn't have the tapioca ones ready). They didn't exactly vibe with the milky tea, but, they were fun to pop. I had a level two sweetness (one is nothing). That was still very sweet. I think they made the look white. White walls and furniture. Can't remember the old look. The tea cost $6+ for a large (which isn't). They opened in May.


No comments: