Thursday, April 25, 2019

A La Cart, East Colonial

I tried this location for food trucks off 50 Tuesday night. It is near Total Wine on Irvington (a Chipotle is across the street). It loans space to a rotation of four food trucks and has a permanent craft beer structure. The trucks that were there on Tuesday were Poke Kai, a vegetarian one, a steak one and a Brazilian empanada truck. Given that the first two still can't control their overhead with out a brick and mortar responsibility ($15 poke bowls or faux meat burgers and $5 faux meat tacos) and I find the former the height of culinary laziness and the latter as an irritant, I shot them down expeditiously. The steak wagon wasn't open and the prices for cheesesteaks, etc were near $15, so, that was a non-starter as well. The empanada truck (Adao) was the least annoying. I just bought a singular beef (ground), egg and olive one for $4. It took over ten minutes. It was average. Like asking me to critique my nachos at a ball game. She made a bunch of savory and sweet ones. Ignore the listed prices. She rounds them all up to the next dollar. This was an extreme let down and another nail in the food truck coffin. I think this area has been in service for under a year. It was almost devoid of customers and none seemed pleased with the choices or prices.

*I tried to parlay this stop by crossing off Iron Cow. They were not open. Yet again. There was a food truck gathering in their parking lot. I believe it happens every Tuesday night. Another collection of over priced has beens like Monsta Lobstah.

No comments: